• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vote for ICS for galaxy S i900

ricnar456

Apr 13, 2010
Our phone was selled with an outdated Eclair six months ago, when Froyo was in the road a year before.
Six moths ago Samsung say SGS1 was the better phone of the world, but now cannot be updated, and have the same hardware level than NEXUS S, this will be updated to ICS.

Petition: www.samsung.com: distribution of ice cream sandwich version for users of the Samsung i9000 | Change.org

twitition - Bring Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich To The Galaxy S Family

We are millons of SGS1 users we can change the mind of Samsung, when Moto denied us Froyo for Milestone we force change its mind, we can.

VOTE for ICS for SGS1, and if you have a SGS2 vote too, for say Samsung not forget your mobiles NEVER MORE, maybe when the next version of android will come out, you have the same problem.

ricnar

Its not about forgetting. SGS1 hardware is too weak for ICS+touchwiz, so Samsung won't give an official update. You can get unofficial pure Google ones if you want.

SGS2 will get ICS as confirmed by Samsung as well. This vote won't change anything, it wont magically turn SGS1 into a dual core phone to.be able to handle ICS.

This is like asking your NetBook to run Crysis.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy S II and I would vote NO, I'm sick of these posts from users expecting update after update for older phones, if they could update it with the usual Samsung extras they woud but it doesnt seem that it's possible

They have to stop somewhere, try and remember the Galaxy S was released back in june 2010, all the phones released around that period shipped with Eclair.

If you want to do fair comparison, compare the Galaxy S to other phones that were launched around that period.

Upvote 0
If in six months a phone is older, your spit will be against you when Jelly bean will be out, and no JB for SGS2.

And 20 millons of SGS1 sold cannot be outdated in six months, and SGS1 are capable of run ICS like NEXUS S, if tweak ui is the problem, samsung need quit tweak UI , who cares.

Ah if you are tired of this posts, read other post and avoid these, please.
Thanks
ricnar

Upvote 0
in my country i9000b was launched (was the first phone cell built for samsung argentina in argentina not imported, by example mi cell have digital TV and antenna for this) 8 months ago with 12 months contract, and galaxy SGS2 two months ago.

Google sign one year of updates with samsung moto, etc, when the phone cell was relased, in each country.

ricnar

Upvote 0
in my country was launched 8 months ago with 12 months contract, and galaxy SGS2 two months ago.

Google sign one year of updates with samsung moto, etc, when the phone cell was relased, in each country.

ricnar

Well there are still new versions of gingerbread they can release for the Galaxy S so they can still live up to that agreement, I wasnt expecting ICS until April anyway even on my Galaxy S2.

Upvote 0
yes.. the SGS1... samsung released it june 2010... but for the OP.. it was not released on his network/country till 6 months ago. and then samsung pulled the plug.

from the OP's point of view .. that does SUCK!!!

if samsung signed a new contract.. 1 yr into the life cycle of a product, knowing it is on the down hill. both the OEM and carrier should have some thought into this.

--------------

OP.. you can root your device.. and wait for the Development community to get you ICS in a custom ROM! that is your only real solution.

Upvote 0
i am just basing it off of what the OP said..

basically.. i root my phones.. and love the devs!! they too cool!!!
i am 99.9999% sure they will get ICS for my EVO.. 75% with Sense!!

that is my number 1 need for any future phone.. how is the Dev Community accepting the phone... if they aint playin with it, then i aint

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter if it got released in his country only 6 months ago, its not Samsung's fault if the carriers or importers in their country decided to skip on it. I mean some carriers in the US as well decided to skip the S2.

The fact is, EVEN IF IT GOT RELEASED 6MONTHS AGO IN YOUR COUNTRY, IT STILL HAS 2 YEAR OLD HARDWARE. So, no, You can't get ICS, unless you want your phone to lag and crash like shit. The only way ICS will run on SGS1, is if all the instances of TouchWiz is removed: basically clean Android like on the Nexus.

Upvote 0
I think Samsung made a wise decision in not upgrading Galaxy S to ICS .

Galaxy S has millions users .So the responsibility of the smooth functioning of millions of phones lies on Samsung .If they cant be sure whether Galaxy S will function as smoothly on ICS as it will on GB then it is good that the phone will not be upgraded to ICS .

Probably if you guys remember similar issue happened when old eclair phones had to be upgraded to Froyo . The phones could not handle Froyo and common folks wanted to downgrade it back to Eclair .

So instead of repeating the upgrade-downgrade cycle ,Samsung has just offered a choice. They wont upgrade you to ICS officially but they have not locked their bootloaders so you can install CyanogenMod 9 since Galaxy S will surely get .
Plus Samsung did hire Steve Kondik so I think CM9 may get official status :D :D

Rooting and Installing ROMs is not rocket science either .It's fairly simple if you just read the instructions .

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter if it got released in his country only 6 months ago, its not Samsung's fault if the carriers or importers in their country decided to skip on it. I mean some carriers in the US as well decided to skip the S2.

The fact is, EVEN IF IT GOT RELEASED 6MONTHS AGO IN YOUR COUNTRY, IT STILL HAS 2 YEAR OLD HARDWARE. So, no, You can't get ICS, unless you want your phone to lag and crash like shit. The only way ICS will run on SGS1, is if all the instances of TouchWiz is removed: basically clean Android like on the Nexus.

We are voting for this, who cares touchwiz, a clean ICS like NEXUS S.

ricnar

Upvote 0
here is the copy of the twitter petition

Description
Dear Samsung, Before us, you were a nobody in the Android Arena. HTC and Motorola ruled the landscape. We turned around your fortunes. Ice Cream Sandwich is touted as the biggest change to Android in a long time. Its beautiful, its fast and we want it. After reading this (Galaxy S (SGS) and Galaxy Tab Not Getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich | ZOMGitsCj) we are disappointed. You say that our hardware will not support it, we ask you how does the similarly specced Nexus S run it so smoothly? You say our hardware is insufficient to run Ice Cream Sandwich along with your TouchWiz smoothly. We will remind you that we have one of the best GPU's around. Given that ICS supports hardware acceleration, we feel that you are being a bit lazy with your coding. We are sure you can manage to make even a TouchWized ICS run smoothly on our devices. If you remember the HTC Desire, HTC had said that it would not run Sense UI and Gingerbread. After a lot of uproar, HTC decided to give their users the option of running an unskinned Gingerbread on their Desires. It voided their users' warranty, but at least it gave them an option. Since most of your Galaxy S devices will already be out of warranty or almost out of warranty, we feel we deserve at least this much. Bring a de-Touchwized Ice Cream Sandwich to our devices. Its the least you can do. Yours Sincerely, The Galaxy S Family

signatures so far ...

Permalink twitition - Bring Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich To The Galaxy S Family

Upvote 0
We are voting for this, who cares touchwiz, a clean ICS like NEXUS S.

ricnar

I find it how funny ignorant you are. Samsung will NEVER give you a TouchWiz less update. If you want ICS on you SGS1, simply flash CyanogenMod 9 to it once its available. CyanogenMod is a free open Android version, and its designed by Steve Kondik, now a Samsung employee. It will involve manual updating but it will get ICS on SGS1, only thing is Samsung won't officially support it. If you dont want TouchWiz anyway, then what is the petition for? Its pointless, and the guys at Samsung will just laugh at it.

Upvote 0
I find it how funny ignorant you are. Samsung will NEVER give you a TouchWiz less update. If you want ICS on you SGS1, simply flash CyanogenMod 9 to it once its available. CyanogenMod is a free open Android version, and its designed by Steve Kondik, now a Samsung employee. It will involve manual updating but it will get ICS on SGS1, only thing is Samsung won't officially support it. If you dont want TouchWiz anyway, then what is the petition for? Its pointless, and the guys at Samsung will just laugh at it.

You are a complete ignorant, you don't know the meaning of ignorant, maybe i have hope, or i'm credulous, or have exagerred faith, but ignorant are you my dear, maybe when reach 20 years you learn the meaning of this word, baby, in my country is a fatal injury.

When Moto denied Froyo upgrade to latin users, we change his mind, samsung is no different, and is seing how 20 millons of his users can change the company, is obvious he give a solution, or remain only with the sgs2 users. (not 20 millons at all hehe)

ricnar
Shell3d with all 3d animation fly in our sgs1, but touchwiz without 3d animations at all, don't run, bah.
All is a samsung trick for try SGS1 users run to buy SGS2, but mayority of SGS1 users need to wait for expire our contracts,will go for SGS3 with 4 cores, or change to other company (GALAXY NEXUS made by Samsung but with google update support, IPHONE etc)

Upvote 0
You really need to listen too people and also know the facts. The original Nexus was made by Google themselves. The New one has been made by Samsung, So Google can update their own phone how they want.

And please stop Blaming Samsung it is not their fault here at all. Yes they agreed to support it for a certain length of time as most companies do. But that length of support is from when it is made and NOT from when it it is released in a specific country, The carrier of the country decides when they want to release it and the updates as well.

If you are so passionate about your phone stop focusing on something that will not happen, and help the guys over on Xda forum with updates for phone

Most SG1 users will upgrade to an SG2 or 3 or if they really want to keep the SG1 will help out and Support XDA who will develop updates for the phone

Upvote 0
Stop telling me what to do i'm not a kid, I put the news of the votation, for the users of SGS1 know and are free to vote or not.
If you are not interested, don't waste your time here, skip this post and continue in other, and stop thinking the people are sheeps, we vote and put effort in this topic, if we lost, is a pity but we battle at least, we are not sheeps like others ("samsung tell is not possible, bla bla bla", and accept this like sheeps)

If we don't have a official update maybe will use a xda port , but is better have the official option too, and a port is more easy and confiable if is based in a official version.

ricnar

Upvote 0
You are a complete ignorant, you don't know the meaning of ignorant, maybe i have hope, or i'm credulous, or have exagerred faith, but ignorant are you my dear, maybe when reach 20 years you learn the meaning of this word, baby, in my country is a fatal injury.

When Moto denied Froyo upgrade to latin users, we change his mind, samsung is no different, and is seing how 20 millons of his users can change the company, is obvious he give a solution, or remain only with the sgs2 users. (not 20 millons at all hehe)

ricnar
Shell3d with all 3d animation fly in our sgs1, but touchwiz without 3d animations at all, don't run, bah.
All is a samsung trick for try SGS1 users run to buy SGS2, but mayority of SGS1 users need to wait for expire our contracts,will go for SGS3 with 4 cores, or change to other company (GALAXY NEXUS made by Samsung but with google update support, IPHONE etc)

You my friend is the one who is ignorant. Moto denied the update not because of too weak hardware. Just look for reports of the Nexus S troubles with ICS. And Nexus S has almost exactly the same hardware as Galaxy S.

Your own comment about Motorola showed your ignorance. Motorola has a locked bootloader, so you can't flash it. The Galaxy S bootloader is not locked, so anyone with the ICS ROM can put pure ICS in it if they wanted to. You don't need Samsung to get ICS on your phone.

Samsung clearly stated that the problem was TouchWiz, which basically them telling you to get your update from ROM developers. If you would notice, we don't care if Samsung gives the update or not, because we know how to get ICS for GalaxyS by ourselves.

Reactions: Riche101
Upvote 0
You are a full ignorant and bad informed.

Moto denied Froyo ONLY to latin users, for others countries Froyo was available, when we put all effort and fighting, we change the moto mind and Froyo was released for latin users too. (we make a two months fight and WE WIN).
Moto in that moment say Milestone have no hardware for support froyo, and realease froyo to EEUU y Europe for milestone and Droid, and denied for latin america users.

I know moto have locked bootloader (i suffer with milestone), and samsung galaxy S not, and mods and all, but this is no reason for not bring ics to the best selled samsung cell in the history, is only for sell SGS2.

And there are other topics for show your geniality (????), plis avoid this, go to bed is late.

AND Repeat with me THIS VOTING is for O F I C I A L - U P D A T E - F O R - I C S, bootloader is not important at all in this case, we know if lost we can put cyanogen mod MIUI, or so, this is not the fact here, only fight for official update.

ricnar

Upvote 0
Why can't you understand Moto had nothing to do with Froyo in Latin America its up too the Carriers in that country what and when things get released and that is fact. If you bothered to look on Xda they are already making a version of ICS for the G1

Why you can not understand MOTO make an official press release two years ago, saying moto not being released for latinoamerica and we fight and moto release.

You need i point to the links of this time?

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/35721?start=0&tstart=0

If you are not informed don't speak please, in the image are the two states, previous to our fight and when we win, change to under evaluation , and next release for LA.

ricnar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones