• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VPN Issue

Good luck getting it fixed. There are two issues at hand...

1) Most phones are setup with the IP set to NAT Restricted. You have to find a nice Verizon tech to switch your phone to General IP Unrestritcted. Until you do this you can't even VPN a PC tethered through the wireless hotspot. And it wil cause the phones VPN client to fail to connect too. I actually got the tech rep at my local store to change this option.

2) The PPTP VPN client, if you're unlucky to have to use that still, is bugged to high heaven. Even after making a sucessfull connection your data will ceast to xmit within a couple of minutes. This has been thrown around the google forums since 2009 and there appears to be no effort on googles behalf to fix it.

The net net is while the Android is a great platform. It is less than useless if you want to VPN into anything. I hate Iphones but at least their VPN works.

Good luck. I gave up on Androids VPN months ago. It's a lost cause.

Upvote 0
Samsung informed me that they are trying to get to a work around. Evidently, Apple signed some agreement with ATT and Verizon to allow all iPhones to use MPPE and General IP addressing to prevent this problem. Sounds a little pro-active vs. re-active, huh? Windows Phone 7 is running into the same issues as Android. Blackberry fixed this years ago. I really like Android, but it isn't a business phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones