1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support VW Bluetooth 9W3/how to sync SIM not phonebook?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flyfishdave, Jan 13, 2012.

1. flyfishdave

flyfishdave Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    Having issues with my Skyrocket and VW 9W3 bluetooth, specifically with the phonebook contacts. Note, everything works fine in terms of connection and calls, but here's my problem:

With my previous blackberry and same car, the sync process would only upload contacts from the SIM card. This was good as I only kept a small list of names and numbers, abbreviated, to facilitate scrolling through the names. Also, for each name, I could append (H), (W), (C) for home, work and cell, to ready easily on the dash display.

Now, with my Skyrocket, when I start the pair with the car, it only asks for permissions to share the phone's entire contact list and call history, which unfortunately, uploads ALL my contacts and shows 'Mom' listed three times, one each for her cell, home, and work with no way of knowing which is which.

Is there a way to have the pairing process default to the SIM contacts only?

I've searched for weeks and even went to the dealer today, with no solution.

Thanks!

Dave.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I have more of a work around. Most Bluetooth systems only sync when you tell it too, not every time you connect.

.soooooo, open contacts and press menu.more.display options

Uncheck Google and anything else but phone

Check the list and make sure your contacts you want are there

This next bit may or may not be on the US rom. If not simply download a sim manager from the market

If not menu.import/export and import from sim

Now, the why this is funky

Android/Google wants you to get away from storing on the sim. When contacts are backed up to Google sync the can literally be accessed by you from any PC with an internet connection and are safe if a sum gets corrupted or lost. It also makes swapping phones a breeze too. Within minutes of logging in all your contacts are back!