1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

VZW allowing early upgrades to Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by icstars989, Apr 1, 2011.

1. icstars989

icstars989 Android Enthusiast

Hey gang, Im due for an upgrade on July 11 this year, but I got a 4G pamphlet in the mail today, and it said that I could upgrade to a Thunderbolt by April 30th for $149. Anyone else getting these?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

if you over 1 year into your contract you can upgrade pretty much

3. Got mine pushed up 2 months

4. thorthunderblt

thorthunderblt Android Enthusiast

I was due for the new every 2 upgrade on october of this year. Then i went to my online account around feb. And bam i was getting a discount minus the extra $50 off. I was pleasently surprised.

5. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Just signed a 2 yr agreement with Verizon this past Oct 2010 for the Samsung Fascinate. After a few calls into customer care I finally got a supervisor to add an early upgrade to my account for the Thunderbolt. The reason they gave it to me was mainly because of the Major Flaw with the GPS and the Fascinate. I got it for $199 on launch day!

6. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

Wasn't due for upgrade until Dec 2011 but they honored an upgrade on launch day. Spoke with vzw rep on the phone.

7. icstars989

icstars989 Android Enthusiast

Hmm, interesting thanks guys. I woulda thought they'd allow early upgrades for the iphone, pleasantly surprised that that they are for the Thunderbolt though. Wonder if it has something to do with launching an actual 4G phone? Ah well, either well its a great deal!

8. IRuninCircles

IRuninCircles Member

Yeah, my husband's upgrade isn't until November, but he can go ahead and get a Thunderbolt now, he is going to next week, not sure if it could work with another phone, didn't try because he is obsessed with my Thunderbolt, I always have to take it away from him when I am home.

redraider1 likes this.
  9. I was told by a Verizon rep that they are flexible with the upgrade date for all phones but the iPhone...

IRuninCircles likes this.
  10. rob316

rob316 Well-Known Member

I was able to get an early upgrade using the yearly upgrade program that is now defunct. I called them up and they said they would give me the yearly upgrade for primary account holders one more time and thats it. I upgraded to the DINC last april, so they ven waived the ttwo weeks I ahd left before I can use my upgrade.

11. chris2k5

chris2k5 Android Enthusiast

If you want the early upgrade for iPhone, they won't let you have it. Just get the TB or a similar priced phone and then swap it back in at the store for the iPhone.

Easy.

12. ? This is a thunderbolt thread :thinking:

13. The Absolute

The Absolute Well-Known Member

Was up for upgrade on Nov 30, 2011 but I got a text stating I could upgrade early so I jumped on the T-bolt on Thursday. Got it for $199.

jhsu123 likes this.
  14. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast

I don't know how you guys are doing it, but I simply can't catch a break with early upgrades. I've called like ten times and they keep telling me that they can't move up the dates anymore. In the store, they can't do anything either. I've been polite and respectful every time. Did you have to ask to talk to a supervisor after they say no? My upgrade is in July 2011. :(

15. chris2k5

chris2k5 Android Enthusiast

Yeah someone mentioned Verizon inflexiblity with early upgrades for iPhone. Just offering my alternative advice for a loop hole.

16. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

17. ttran97

Nope, still says July 2011. I mean, I might wait until July and see what's good then. Bionic, iPhone 5, etc. But it irks me that the reps keep saying they CAN'T do anything about it, when obviously people ARE allowed to upgrade early. :rolleyes:

18. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

you clicked the "upgrade now" button and everything

19. ttran97

Yeah. Then it lists the phones on the family plan. They all have "upgrade at full price" by them. I selected mine, which has the July 2011 upgrade, and then it shows the phones and the TB is listed at $599. Oh well.

20. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

are you the primary on the account?

21. MRW1215

MRW1215 Well-Known Member

I'm also on a family plan (not the main account holder), with a non-smart phone, currently. Our contract is up in August, but it's claiming we can upgrade on April 4th. Like what ttran97 described, if I go on the account on the Verizon site, it says me and the other accounts can upgrade right now at full price (the main account has been able to upgrade for a couple months now, I guess...), but that we'll be eligible for discounts on April 4th.

Similarly, if I go on Amazon's site (I plan to order my Thunderbolt from there) and enter my phone info, it says I can't upgrade until April 4th. It's only another day or two, but I'm SO antsy to get my hands on a smart phone, heh.

I'm curious how soon my account info updates for Amazon... I'm contemplating staying up until past midnight tomorrow night to try an order it right away (as I work all day Monday, and I'd like to order it so it arrives on Tuesday, my off day, so I can set it up and play around with it), but I don't know if it takes a while for Amazon to update my account info to recognize that I can place the order.

22. ttran97

That's normal. Usually, you can upgrade your phone 20 months into your 24 month contract. What I'm trying to do is move that date up even more. You should be able to call *611 or go into a Verizon store right now (or Sunday) and they'll let you upgrade, no problem.

I called VZW tonight and told them about other people being able to upgrade early. The rep told me that if you're within 30 days, they would let you upgrade for a $20 fee, but I know other people didn't have to pay anything at all.

I'm not the primary line holder, but I always log into vzw under the primary account because I can see more detailed online stuff that way.

23. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Lol...They let me upgrade 19 months early. And I didn't pay any upgrade fees, and got it for $199. You just have to get in the hands of the right person. However, they will not let u upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, or for a hot new phone. There has to be a valid reason, like trouble with your current phone to some capacity. Having stuff documented on your account helps. In my experience VZW and at&t are good like that when you have a legitimate issue.

redraider1 likes this.
  24. ttran97

I said "Screw it" and bought a TB off of Ebay for $500 today. That's cheaper than $660 (Full retail plus CA tax). I can sell my Inc for roughly $200, so that's fine by me. :) I'll use my upgrade in July for my mom to get the new iPhone 5 or something.

25. I was told the opposite that they weren't doing early upgrades since they moved people's upgrades up for the iphone. I'm due for an upgrade in july of this year.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews