1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Vzw blocking wireless tether on the newly rooted droid 3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by digdug1, Aug 25, 2011.

1. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

So I've been surfing around looking for something to burn my upgrade on and I see that users are reporting that using it will take you to the sign up page. Not only that but they lost their data until a reboot.
    Yikes.

Edit: supposedly an older version of wireless tether works.

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Interesting, I believe it will just be a matter of time until XDA finds a way around it. It could be as easy as bootstrapper and a custom rom. I know the bootloader is locked on the D3 but if the DX and D2 were any indication of what will happen there will be roms (maybe not kernels). I don't forsee myself buying another moto phone unless they unlock the bootloader, until then I am sure I can find what I want with other OEM.

3. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

I noticed tbh has came up with a hack for the tether apk already just as they did on the dx. It is pretty intensive though. I wonder what Vzw did to detect wt on the d3.

4. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

A user reported an older version is working for him. Still I think that's the first time I've heard of wt sending a user to the sign up page.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Well there are reports of the phone collecting useage stats and sending them to amazon servers, VZW could have implemented something showing useage stats are sent to them and if they see WT they prompt that page and block data access until reboot. I would guess this would only be on a stock setup.

6. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

I sure hope so. I do not like intrusion
    :(

7. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Agreed to much data tracking!
    What if we used bluetooth tethering would it then look more like phone usage?
    Thanks,
    Bryan

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think Bluetooth tethering is one of the current work arounds for the d3

9. jr313

jr313 Well-Known Member

SMH. I say if you want to tether just pay for it and tether away! then you dont need work arounds. But thats just my 2 cents and its coming from a person that has never tethered also. But to each their own.

10. Smitty0921

Smitty0921 Lurker

This has happened to me. I have a rooted droid 3 I tried tethering, it didn't work and i didn't get data after until I rebooted. If i used the browser the only website that would load was the Verizon site asking you to sign up for wireless tethering.

11. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Ouch. I was thinking about the bionic but I think I will wait till a few people post their results. I don't tether often but I do take advantage of it occasionally. Its nice to show off to my iPhone friends lol.
    Have you found a work around yet?

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews