1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

VZW early upgrades?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sungscow, Oct 30, 2014.

1. sungscow

sungscow Lurker

VZW seems to be pushing really hard for the Droid Turbo. Has anyone received VZW's blessing for an early upgrade for this device? My wife is eligible for a subsidized upgrade in January 2015 and wondering if she can get it a few months earlier.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Potent68

Potent68 Lurker

I called Verizon and they gave us early upgrades (our upgrade date was in 3 weeks). What they didn't tell me was that the free overnight shipping offer was online only. :grumble: Oh well, we'll get them on Monday.

sungscow likes this.
  3. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert

If they wave the $120 I have remaining in my edge plan I'll do it lol

4. Coho1

Coho1 Newbie

I spent a good bit of time talking to a manager and to a 611 customer service rep and they said that you can use Edge to upgrade early, but you must trade in your current phone. They're normal procedure to do a little early upgrade only works if you get a phone older than 90 days. I'm just going to wait until my upgrade in 3 weeks because I want to keep my current phone as a backup and trade in an old Droid X.

5. chrisdpratt

chrisdpratt Lurker

I'm on Edge and chose to buy out my remaining balance. Cost me $150, but my battery life was so terrible with my M8 it was easily worth it. Really can't say enough good things about the phone, so if you can early upgrade, even at a cost, it's probably worth it, depending on what you have currently.

6. dodgerfan1953

dodgerfan1953 Newbie

I had a Jan 2015 upgrade date and I received an accelerated upgrade today.

7. mmpotash

mmpotash Newbie

Were you on the Edge plan or the 2 year plan?

8. Willtrvl

Willtrvl Member

How do you like edge? I went by best buy and was told it would cost me like $10 more dollars a month to get the droid turbo on edge. I'm considering it...

9. erisftw15

erisftw15 Newbie

Edge is pretty nice. The big benefit of it is that you can upgrade after 1 year rather than 2 so if your phone craps out you can upgrade as long as half the resale value (full price) is paid off. The only downside is that if you dont upgrade after half the price is paid off you will still get charged until the full price is paid.

Pretty much it is full price for a 2 year contract if you dont get a new phone after the first year.

10. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I may switch to Edge with my next contract upgrade, but I still like the idea of holding onto my last device in case I have a problem with the new one. With Edge you have to turn in the old device, unless you paid the whole thing off. At this point I'd be comfortable using the Maxx for at least a few more years, especially as an emergency backup.

Edge would really be a wash for me, as I almost always hold onto a phone for a full two years these days, and the Edge monthly cost is about the same as the $25 line discount for having Edge.

11. loooney2ns

loooney2ns Lurker

I upgraded using the early edge upgrade. I got the Maxx the first week it was available. It was starting to act up. Random reboots, trouble sending texts, etc. To me it's worth the extra $2 a month for the 64gb phone, plus I saves the $250 purchase price. The Maxx was $300 up front and I still had to pay $40 a month for service. With the $25 service discount, I'm way ahead.

12. rmcnamara

rmcnamara Lurker

My upgrade is not until Dec. 2015. Verizon has offered me the early edge option. I'm really thinking of doing it. I have a galaxy nexus that I would trade instead of the iPhone 5s that I have.

13. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

I have a 2 year contract that expires Dec 1st. I can get the Turbo on Edge right now, but I won't get the $100 credit for the trade in phone. If I wait until Dec 1st I get the $100 credit for trade-ins. With four lines it's worth it for me to wait. I've heard the $100 trade in credit will run until Dec 31st.

14. Willtrvl

Willtrvl Member

Wondering if there will be any black Friday sales on Droid Turbo?

15. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

Yes. All weekend long, if you renew your 2 year contract with Verizon you can get a 32GB Turbo for $99. Also, if you have a working smartphone, you can trade it in on the Turbo and get a $100 credit. Which means you can get a new Turbo from Verizon and they will give you a dollar. However, you will need to pay $35 for the activation fee. Still, $34 for a new Turbo is pretty darn good!

16. mmpotash

mmpotash Newbie

Tried an early upgrade for the Turbo 6 weeks before my 2 year contract is up. They said no, only 1 week leeway.

Motorola Droid Turbo Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3900mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews