1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

VZW Extended battery and Otter Box

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Dec 30, 2011.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

For those interested, I picked up a VZW extended battery today and was worried when I got it that it might not work with my Otter Box case. But, it works fine. So, for those looking at getting the extended battery and who have an Otter Box case, just wanted to let you know it will work. :)

Lohung likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. buckhorn24

buckhorn24 Newbie

Did you get the Defender or Commuter? I had the Defender with the extended battery and it fit tight, but fit. Decided to return it because of the matt screen protector and was just too much plastic around the phone. A couple of the stores I checked at didn't have the Commuter or else I would have gotten that.

3. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Android Expert

There is a verizon sub forum

4. Nightfall

Nightfall Well-Known Member

I have the Otterbox with the belt clip and it works fine with the extended battery and cover. No problems at all.

The only thing that I can complain about is that this case is so solid, I don't think I will want to exchange batteries at all. I have a separate battery charger that I will probably not use at all because of how solid this case is and how hard it is to take apart to put another battery in.

5. aguillon5

aguillon5 Well-Known Member

So exactly what makes this Verizon specific? The phone? The battery? The Otterbox?

6. escman

escman Newbie

Seeing how the original cover will fit with the extended battery installed, any case will work with the extended battery. I also have the otterbox defender case and can confirm this is true

7. buckhorn24

buckhorn24 Newbie

Like he said, those Otterbox Defenders are a handful to take off and probably would never wrestle with it to change the battery.

8. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Mine is the Defender case.

I posted this thread for those that might be looking at getting the extended battery. When I went into the VZW store and the rep got the battery I asked if it would fit in the Otter Box case. She didn't know and she asked two other reps and they both said no it would not. I said open the box and I will try it and I did. The extended battery is thicker than the standard battery and it does make for a tighter fit in the Otter Box. I thought this might help some out that were considering getting an extended battery and didn't figure this was specific to VZW thread, but this is more specific to an extended battery for the Nexus.

9. civicsisedan

Im going to go on a whim and say since it says verizon in the title...

Verizon nexus is slightly bigger then gsm variant.

He bought the verizon extended battery which doesnt fit in the gsm phone..

Maybe those two would make it verizon specific??

aguillon5 and darkcyber like this.
  10. civicsisedan

The batteries are different betwren lte and gsm... just saying

11. Lohung

Lohung Android Enthusiast

w00t otter box.. I got the defender.. thanks for the info.. very helpful

12. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Not familiar with the GSM phone/battery. Didn't realize the VZW one was a little bit larger. Thanks for the info.

13. snuggles

snuggles Android Enthusiast

Be careful if you remove the screen protector. Once the screen protector is removed the frame is VERY fragile! I learned the hard way by trying to clean the glue off the edges. The screen protector was too thick and not enough screen feedback for me. I'm going to order the Seidio active case now.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews