• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [VZW] Have a Nexus? Having one-way audio issues? Tell us where you are

Lucky Armpit

Android Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, NC
Hello all, it may be beating a dead horse at this point but I thought it would be good to have one central thread dedicated to the one-way audio and/or audio reboot issue on the Galaxy Nexus (thanks for the suggestion Tim K.). I know there are a lot of other threads and posts about this issue but this thread should be soley for reporting your location. City/state is preferred (ex. Los Angeles, CA) but if there are privacy concerns, then what part of your state is good too (ex. eastern WA). The point is to see if there truly is a regional pattern to this issue. Maybe we can point Verizon to this thread at some point? Maybe it can help them determine the cause... who knows?

Not that Sprint/AT&T folks can't post here, but I think this thread will be mostly filled with Verizon folks.

I'm in Rocky Mount, NC, which is in the eastern part of the state. I have been having the one-way audio issue since I bought the phone, which was December 24th 2011. I am 100% stock... no root, no unlock, no custom ROMs, nothing. I am on 4.0.4. I have not had the issue since getting 4.0.4 but it's been less than a week at the time of this posting, so too early to tell.

Reactions: dwilliam16
I've been experiencing this issue since I picked up my GN on launch day. I live in Denver, CO. Had the issue with both 4.0.2 and 4.0.4.

Interestingly enough, since I had the phone I traveled to Minneapolis and Las Vegas, and didn't encounter the problem in either of those locations. Also, I was talking to a co-worker who lives in Texas who also owns the Galaxy Nexus. The one time he experienced the muting issue was when he was in Denver :(

Upvote 0
I have had this problem from the start. I live in Wyoming and I have had this problem in Wy., Co., and Northern Ca. as I travel. It happened to me on every call in Denver one day, the next day I went to Mazatlan Mexico for a week. I used my phone heavily all week without a problem. From there I traveled to Pheonix for a conference for a week, again no problem at all. As I returned to Denver the first call after landing it started in again. Being in Co. and Wy. since, it happens to me constantly. I swear it is a Verizon tower problem not a device problem however since my wifes droid bionic works fine in all areas Verizon says it isn't a Verizon problem it is a device problem. So the saga continues until they come out with a comparable replacement. Really tempted to leave Verizon.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
There's a survey here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhyOXF3OFhmQlF2eGlIZ3AtVkVHLUE6MQ

I contacted the author to see if I could get the current results.

FWIW, I've had this issue from day one in northern california (near Sacramento). Specifically, the zip codes I've had the issue in are 95630 and 95762. Don't recall having it in other locations, but I'll find out next time I travel.

Here are the current survey results:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1AgV...XuxD41SlXnFtvpQClMPhls9TW2sal6irJF/edit?pli=1

Definitely looks clustered in a few major areas. Tower issue? :/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am in Santa Fe, NM and I used to get the one way muting on 4.0.2 intermittently, it would happen for about 4 calls strait and sometimes as soon as the other person answered. After the stock 4.0.4 OTA update I have been able to have 27 minute long calls with no problem....until today when I had it happen. I did not have a good signal (2-3 gray bars) and was talking for about 4 minutes when....one way mute

Upvote 0
I have had the one-way issue off and on since day one. I live in Kinston, NC and I have had the issue all across the state. When I made a trip to Atlanta, I had no issues for the two weeks I was there, but the first call I made the day I got back to NC, mute issue was back.

One thing I noticed after seeing that survey map is that it corresponds pretty closely to the places that Verizon is upgrading 4G and also areas that were notorious problem areas with Alltel - especially North Carolina. Maybe Verizon has been having issues with the old equipment that worked fine utill the 4G upgrades (why change it if it works?) but now can't handle the new signal hand-offs and differences in network traffic. I could be wrong, but having lived here and remembering similar issues with Alltel in certain areas, this seems very plausable to me.

Upvote 0
I was on my way back from Myrtle Beach, SC yesterday and I experienced the one-way mute for the first time since 4.0.4. I had just gotten on 40W heading back home, so I was just past Wilmington. Definitely on a different tower since I was still 2+ hours from home. ;) Was talking with Spousal Unit and she said, "Whoops, I think you had the mute thing happen again." She continued talking for about 15 seconds but she could not hear me. I, of course, could hear her fine. I was on a Jawbone Bluetooth. She hung up, I called her right back, and it was fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones