• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [VZW] Have a Nexus? Having one-way audio issues? Tell us where you are

Well, my Razr Maxx is being sent out in a few days.:( I'll get about a week to test it out and then my baby has to be returned. Sad day, but I have to be able to make a phone call.

I'm still considering making the same switch. Did you by chance ask them about exchanging it for a GS3 when they come out? I haven't asked yet since I assumed they would refuse, but now I see GS3 pre-orders are less expensive than the MAXX.

Upvote 0
I'm still considering making the same switch. Did you by chance ask them about exchanging it for a GS3 when they come out? I haven't asked yet since I assumed they would refuse, but now I see GS3 pre-orders are less expensive than the MAXX.

VZW support is calling me shortly to talk about the mid-call muting issues. I'm going to see if they will possibly replace it with a sgs3.

Upvote 0
Let us know how it goes man. I would not mind having an SGS 3 if the radio is superior to that of the Gnex. Especially for the bluetooth phone audio issue.

Cheers.

Well, they screwed up and closed my trouble ticket for some reason. He said something about my line having the Nexus and my old Incredible on it? :thinking:

But it makes me wonder...people having this issue - were you on a 3G phone previously? And if so, is it still used? Mine is on wifi (my son uses it), but I wonder if somehow it's causing problems w/the new device? Hmm...I'll have to forcibly turn off mobile * on the old inc and see if the muting goes away...

Upvote 0
VZW support is calling me shortly to talk about the mid-call muting issues. I'm going to see if they will possibly replace it with a sgs3.

Early reviews and reports from its forum here seem mostly positive or great on call quality/reception of GSIII including US versions. Since all US variants have basically the same phone hardware, I'm a bit optimistic for VZW version. But we have yet to see that in people's hands on VZW.

Though I'm not having any serious phone issues with my Gnex, I'm curious how it goes for you too compared to Gnex.

Upvote 0

It was explained to me that it had to be a phone of equal (or lesser) retail value. They will also only do refurbs because giving you a different phone is not really a part of your warranty from Samsung. Remember that we are all in the Samsung warranty period for our phones. Verizon's return policy is up. The Samsung 1 year warranty is the only thing that applies here. Verizon usually offers a different model after you have gone through several replacements to keep you happy.

Since the Nexus retails for $649 you would have the option of switching to any phone they carry with the exception of the iPhone 4S 32GB and 64GB models. The GS3 is going to be out of the question as well unless they start to get a bunch of refurbs in pretty quickly. If that happens though, why would you want one?

Upvote 0
But it makes me wonder...people having this issue - were you on a 3G phone previously? And if so, is it still used? Mine is on wifi (my son uses it), but I wonder if somehow it's causing problems w/the new device? Hmm...I'll have to forcibly turn off mobile * on the old inc and see if the muting goes away...

I'm very interested to see what you find with this. I use my old Samung as an alarm clock. While I don't have wifi turned on it still receives a signal. Nobody said anything about seeing that phone on my account though.

Upvote 0
Well, my Razr Maxx is being sent out in a few days.:( I'll get about a week to test it out and then my baby has to be returned. Sad day, but I have to be able to make a phone call.

Let us know here how you like the Maxx please. I'm leaning towards getting rid of my GX because of this BS. I'm not sure if I will just use Best Buy's buy back program and the use the $399 to pay for 2 upgrade SG3? or try and get VZW to replace my GX with another phone....Maxx? or SG3?

Upvote 0
Let us know here how you like the Maxx please. I'm leaning towards getting rid of my GX because of this BS. I'm not sure if I will just use Best Buy's buy back program and the use the $399 to pay for 2 upgrade SG3? or try and get VZW to replace my GX with another phone....Maxx? or SG3?

Check out my other post in this forum about switching over to the Razr Maxx. I'm liking it so far.

Upvote 0
So....last night I had the mic mute issue. It's the first time in about three weeks and the first time since I reset everything on the phone and also did the PRL update. The interesting thing is that when it happened the other person tried to call me back and got this a message saying Verizon Wireless cannot connect your call right now. First time I've heard of that. Not sure if it was his area or mine but it's definitely something to think about.

I'm not sure what I am going to do. I really don't want the Maxx but I don't think I have a choice at this point. Even if I don't have the mic mute issue, low signal strength on the Nexus is getting annoying as is having choppy audio at times during a call.

Steve

Upvote 0
Charlotte, NC. Verizon. Quite frequent.

I wouldn't go so far as to say this is an issue JUST from the regional equipment - as before this phone I had zero issues. Though it also isn't JUST the phone radio either. Clearly a combination of the two.

Really quite a downer. Makes me extremely hesitant to buy another Samsung phone. I'd love to get something that actually can make calls worth a damn, but there's no way I'm going to drop full retail for another device just yet - not even had this thing a year.

Completely unacceptable for a flagship product.

Upvote 0
Charlotte, NC here. (Northlake Mall). And I am still having issues with the muting.

I just went to Philly for the past 2 weeks for work and not once did a call mute. Once I came back to Charlotte, the muting started again. Although, it appears to be happening a lot less than it happened months ago. It has really made my 1st smartphone a disappointing experience.

Upvote 0
I emailed Samsung customer support and asked them if the Galaxy S3 would have better reception than the Nexus and they sent back the following form letter:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do apologize for the inconvenience that these might have caused you. We understand that your phone has a poor reception.

Reception problems can be linked to a number of factors. It may be a building that tends to block the signal due to the nature of its structure. It may also be that the strength of the signal may be particularly weak in that specific area.

Geographic conditions, internal software and tower placement play a significant role in how well the phone grabs and maintains a signal. If you feel there are more than just the above factors at work then please call Samsung Customer Support at 1-888-987-4357 for troubleshooting to help determine if the handset should be sent in for repair/service.

You might also contact your Service Provider to verify that you are within their service area.

Verizon's Customer support 1-800-922-0204.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Mark
Technical Support

Damn they are making it hard for me to ever buy another samsung phone.......first the Fascinate.....then the Charge (which actually did get a lot better after software updates)....and now the Nexus.....wtf and yes lucky me started off my android adventure with the HTC Eris (the reason that I have not had another HTC phone)

Upvote 0
For those of you with reception issues, I took this screenshot last night.

33y4cuh.jpg

Upvote 0
I hadn't had this happen in a couple of months, thought maybe the latest update had fixed the issue. Buuuut Noooooo! Happened on 3 straight (important) calls today, then just happened again a while ago. I live in SW Missouri, it happens at home and at work (about 40 miles apart). Love the phone but it has to work as a phone first and foremost. I really felt like throwing this phone against the wall today. After reading Of The Damned review of Razr Maxx I'm really considering switching.

Upvote 0
I hadn't had this happen in a couple of months, thought maybe the latest update had fixed the issue. Buuuut Noooooo! Happened on 3 straight (important) calls today, then just happened again a while ago. I live in SW Missouri, it happens at home and at work (about 40 miles apart). Love the phone but it has to work as a phone first and foremost. I really felt like throwing this phone against the wall today. After reading Of The Damned review of Razr Maxx I'm really considering switching.

I sort of wish I was getting the bug. Then I could see if maybe the debug console could lend a clue to the cause. If somebody hasn't done it already.

Upvote 0
Had the one way issue on 3 consecutive calls today and decided I had enough. This issue is not going to get fixed. I called Verizon again and after 2 calls and the tech actually hearing what the issue is I was offered the Razor Max or the S3 when released. I decided to take the s3 as I am not happy with the screen on the Razor. This is not the solution I wanted as I am happy with the Nexus otherwise but can't live with this issue for another year and a half.

Upvote 0
If you point me to some info and what you'd try after it happens to capture info, I'd be glad to try it out.

You would need to enable debugging in the Development options and download the Android SDK, so you you can get the debugger (DDMS).

Here is another silent issue a few years back on my Eris. And somebody figured out what may have caused it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...es-silent-multiple-times-week.html#post604917

However, you will probably need to know what your looking for (its going to spit out a ton of lines in real time since this is debugging info for the entire OS, apps, etc), and you might need to have the phone plugged in the PC while your on the call. However if it was anything like the individual above, it there might be a looping error that never ends so you could plug it in after you get it (however you still need to be in the call).

And who knows, the Android debugger may provide no useful information.

Upvote 0
You would need to enable debugging in the Development options and download the Android SDK, so you you can get the debugger (DDMS).

Here is another silent issue a few years back on my Eris. And somebody figured out what may have caused it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...es-silent-multiple-times-week.html#post604917

However, you will probably need to know what your looking for (its going to spit out a ton of lines in real time since this is debugging info for the entire OS, apps, etc), and you might need to have the phone plugged in the PC while your on the call. However if it was anything like the individual above, it there might be a looping error that never ends so you could plug it in after you get it (however you still need to be in the call).

And who knows, the Android debugger may provide no useful information.

Looks like this is really my only choice at this point.

I humored Verizon when they said to turn off my old dinc because it was "still partially active" and that was causing the mid-call muting problem on the Nexus. :rolleyes:

Well, sure enough I had another couple of calls muted. They called me and after a length conversation they basically told me:

1. Samsung is aware of this and an update should fix it. (RIIIIGHT)
2. I then pointed out they told us all this before 4.0.4, but 4.0.4 came and did NOT fix the problem.
3. She offered me a "similar" phone which to her was the Razr Maxx and told me the SGS3 would be considered and "upgrade".

This is complete bulls!#&. I have been a customer for over 10 years, and their answer is to replace my high end device with something that has a non-HD screen and other less desirable qualities.

I really do think I'm done with Verizon over this. The (complete lack of) customer service has really pissed me off, and I'm sick and tried of the denial from Verizon and Samsung and allowing this issue to go on this long.

Upvote 0
I have called once and was told there would be an update soon they hope to address this. If it does not and I can't live with this, they will send me an Incredible 4g or S3. When my wife's Eris and replacements did not work, they did replace with incredible.

I want to keep this phone, but I won't let them give me a phone I hate because it doesn't work well.

Upvote 0
I have called once and was told there would be an update soon they hope to address this. If it does not and I can't live with this, they will send me an Incredible 4g or S3. When my wife's Eris and replacements did not work, they did replace with incredible.

I want to keep this phone, but I won't let them give me a phone I hate because it doesn't work well.

Then I'll keep calling I guess until an S3 is an option. I'm willing to wait for an OTA to fix it, but once I get anywhere near the 1 year manufacturer warranty, I'm going to push hard for a replacement. a qHD phone with lesser specs as a replacement is absolutely out of the question. So I guess I'll just keep trying.

Ideally, though, I want them to fix the damn problem. I like the Nexus and I want to keep it, but only if this mid-call muting problem is fixed and the radios get MUCH better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones