• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW Ordered me a replacement phone...

Atty

May 23, 2010
Monday afternoon I went into my VZW store for help and they said hey were getting a bootloader error on my phone. They promptly ordered me another one.

Just got a call from my house mates and apparently my new phone arrived today.

Is that possible? What should i expect, refurbished or new phone? And more importantly, amoled or lcd?

I have just ordered my replacement and I was told they don't have any refurbished phones only new phone

If it was ordered as a FRU (Field Replacement Unit), they certain DO have refurbed units, I just got one yesterday. Unit works great though.

If you get your tracking info, see if it's being shipped from Fort Worth, TX. If it is, it's most likely one of their refurbed units (assuming they still have them in stock).

Upvote 0
Sadly, at times, the FRU devices function better than the brand new. Seems its because they go through more tests than the new ones which are just boxed from a production line.

I'm hoping my 30day replacement isn't possessed like my current though. I hate waiting in line to usually get a sales/support person that says "I can't wait that long to see if there is a problem because there are others waiting"

Upvote 0
Kinda moot, but a VZW sales rep at the store assured me my replacement was going to be a brand new phone. Guess what: it ain't.

Certified like-new replacement. Everything seems to be OK except that the silver camera housing is scratched pretty badly. But if that's the only issue on this phone, I can live with it.

Upvote 0
Kinda moot, but a VZW sales rep at the store assured me my replacement was going to be a brand new phone. Guess what: it ain't.

Certified like-new replacement. Everything seems to be OK except that the silver camera housing is scratched pretty badly. But if that's the only issue on this phone, I can live with it.

Same deal with mine, except mine doesn't have a single, solitary scratch or blemish. So far it works fine, but if I have any more issues, I'm going to see if I can get moved over to an X, they just got rooted, and there's way more 3rd party support for things like docks...

Upvote 0
It's so unfair that companies can replace new, defective products with refurbished items! You don't pay the same price for refurbished products that you do for new products for a reason!

That's true if your phone is immaculate, but mine had some scratches on the screen so I'm ok with the refurb (which has no scratches on the screen).

Incidentally, I just noticed a creaking when I tap the left middle portion of the screen. I'm not sure if it's the case or not (will take it off to try), but it's consistent and annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones