• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (VZW) Other person can't hear me.

Very annoying how this holiday return policy is working against those of us who bought from third party retailers! My problem has been occurring for about 10 days, but it feels like an eternity since I can't replace the phone. Although getting a refurb model from VZW would void my ability to return it at Costco within 90 days. The Droid RAZR is looking more and more appealing each day.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I just wrapped up a weekly call with my brother who has heard my voice drop twice before. I'm happy to report this is my second 30+ minute call since swapping out SIM cards that did NOT have an issue with the mic. Mr Wiggins can update his "table" to show another happy customer sporting a new (working) SIM.

Same here! Except my call wasn't to your brother. LOL.

Upvote 0
I'd keep your fingers crossed. I've survived many a 30+ minute phone call without this happening, so 1 or 2 successful long calls really proves nothing.

Same here. Sometimes I can go an hour without having the issue. Then another phone call will only make it a few minutes before the issue pops up.

Upvote 0
I'd keep your fingers crossed. I've survived many a 30+ minute phone call without this happening, so 1 or 2 successful long calls really proves nothing.
That is certainly possible. But for me, EVERY call I made before the SIM change that lasted longer than 20 minutes would cut out. My mic never cut out on calls less than 20 minutes.

Considering that EVERY 20+ minute call since the change has worked well and I am not a frequent talker (I much prefer texting and email), I am content with the results. There are too many good things I LOVE about this phone to jump on the pessimist's bandwagon. That may not be the case for everyone here, but I think I am back in the "I can enjoy this phone for 20 months" gang. :D

Same here. Sometimes I can go an hour without having the issue. Then another phone call will only make it a few minutes before the issue pops up.
We may each have a slightly different issue or at least unique variables that play into our problem(s). Also, (and I mean no offense), since you were the "little boy crying wolf" about all the perceived shortcomings with the Nexus in the pre-release thread, I can't help but take your opinion with a grain of salt. ;)

Upvote 0
I just got my new Sim card and the new one has an oval design pattern on the gold contacts, where the old one is all straight angles. Someone else said their replacement card looked different and I thought that sounded strange.

Two questions:

1) Did anyone happen to look at the contacts of their SIM card when they got it replaced, for those having the problem does it looks more like an oval in the middle, or are there no curved lines? For those not having the problem, same question. I wonder if I didn't get two of the same bad design card and that's why I'm having the issue. My fiancee's phone is a TB and hers matches the design of the one tech support emailed me.

2) Can I activate this sim without calling tech/customer service/stopping in store or do I need to do that?

Upvote 0
I live in new bern north carolina and have had this problem with the phone since launch and this is my 2nd one and it does it too. Just talked to 611 and told them they sent me to tech service then they called samsung. Well end results i was offered another new nexus but i said no. She said i can get a new pgine or hope and wait for a update to fix it. Should i take a 3rd one? Also my dad lives in same city and has same problem with their nexus also.

Upvote 0
sad to say, but I gave up after having the same problem on 3 Galaxy Nexus', back to the Razr. I need a device that works at the very basic level.

Posts like yours make me happy I chose a Razr.

Hope big red fixes the issues (if possible).

Strange though, I have not heard of too many peeps with this problem on the GSM version though. Or am I wrong here?

Upvote 0
I just got my new Sim card and the new one has an oval design pattern on the gold contacts, where the old one is all straight angles. Someone else said their replacement card looked different and I thought that sounded strange.

Two questions:

1) Did anyone happen to look at the contacts of their SIM card when they got it replaced, for those having the problem does it looks more like an oval in the middle, or are there no curved lines? For those not having the problem, same question. I wonder if I didn't get two of the same bad design card and that's why I'm having the issue. My fiancee's phone is a TB and hers matches the design of the one tech support emailed me.

2) Can I activate this sim without calling tech/customer service/stopping in store or do I need to do that?

My new one also had the oval shape where the old one had the straight angles like you mentioned. It was the first thing I noticed about the new SIM card. And yes you will either need to call in or stop by the store to activate the new card.

Upvote 0
Mr. Orange, I thought you were crazy when you mentioned that on your earlier post because I didn't realize that there were different shapes, but then I thought about it and realized maybe you were speaking about a subtle difference. When I got my 3rd SIM (2nd replacment) in the mail and put it next to the other one I saw what you meant.

I'm very glad to see this and I'm guessing that's going to show a resolution to this issue. I'll get it activated tonight.

Upvote 0
I got my Nexus delivered last Wednesday (ordered on the phone because they honored a $100 discount that they wouldn't honor in the store). I activated it, made one successful call on Thursday, one on Friday. Starting Saturday, on every call the other side can't hear me. Granted, that has only been 4 calls total in those last three days, but it is happening every call.

For me, the problem doesn't wait 5 or 20 or 30 minutes to appear, it is there right from the beginning of the call. I am going to try a call tomorrow on a bluetooth headset and see if that makes any difference.

I will be a little upset if I have to get a new phone, because I always put a full body skin on my phone right away to avoid scratches. I put one of those on my phone Friday night after my last successful call, before this problem started on my phone.

Upvote 0
I got my Nexus delivered last Wednesday (ordered on the phone because they honored a $100 discount that they wouldn't honor in the store). I activated it, made one successful call on Thursday, one on Friday. Starting Saturday, on every call the other side can't hear me. Granted, that has only been 4 calls total in those last three days, but it is happening every call.

For me, the problem doesn't wait 5 or 20 or 30 minutes to appear, it is there right from the beginning of the call. I am going to try a call tomorrow on a bluetooth headset and see if that makes any difference.

I will be a little upset if I have to get a new phone, because I always put a full body skin on my phone right away to avoid scratches. I put one of those on my phone Friday night after my last successful call, before this problem started on my phone.

After typing this comment, I read it over. I realized that maybe the problem starting right after installing the full body skin was not a case of unfortunate timing for me, but rather it could be the cause of the problem. I checked, and it looks like the skin covered the microphone! There is a little circular cut-out in the skin that I missed. I just poked that out with a knife, and I will make a test call in the morning, but I assume that was the problem. I will report back to confirm. Good luck to all of you experiencing an actual problem, rather than "user error." :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm tentatively going to say add me to the list of those for whom a replacement sim card did the trick. Made about 8 calls since, long and short, no problems yet. As a couple people have mentioned, the contacts on my replacement card look different than my original one - photo attached. The card on the right with the oval center pattern is my replacement, which I got from a different store than the one I bought the phone from.

Everybody still having problems have a card that looks like the one on the left?

Edit: I'm still having the issue with the new (oval) card, as is at least one other user. Ah well,.

Attachments

• simcards.jpg
    simcards.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
I have had this very same issue where all of a sudden the person on the other end of the phone call can't hear me any more. Hanging up and calling back seems to be the only fix. However, I bought two of the GNEX phones on the day they became available in the US (one for me and one for my wife). Both of these phones had the issue and tech support recommended I returned both phones and thought new phones would address and fix the problem. After I returned both of our two original GNEX phones, immediately the two new GNEX phones started experiencing the exact same problem. So at this point we have had 4 GNEX phones expericence this "mic issue" so to speak where all of a sudden people can't hear us when talking on our phones. I have had SEVERAL long phone conversations with Verizon and Samsung about this issue and they keep playing dumb like they have never heard of this problem before. The one common denominator is our SIM cards were NOT replaced, and our last Verizon Tech recommended that we go and get new SIM cards to see if this fixes the problem. I have also read this potential solution may work from many other forums. I'll go to the Verizon store tomorrow and get new SIM cards and see if it fixes the problem. I'll be sure to post and let everyone know what happens.

Upvote 0
Alright i got my new SIM card today and it DID NOT fix the problem. In fact, the Verizon level 3 supporr rep mentioned that this is a known problem and it has been reported in the past. Her comment was that Google/Samsung should be working together to fix what they believe is related to a software problem. At this time there is NO exact ETA for when the software fix will be released.

Hope this post of my experience is a helpful reference cor others.

Upvote 0
At this point I guess I need to make the decision on getting a 3rd set of phones with new SIM cards, or just keep the phones we have and wait patiently for some type of software fix, or return the phones and go back to our DROID incredibles until this phone becomes more stable.

We are in the Denver area and are aware of others in are area having the same issue. I really don't want to return this phone for any other available Verizon phone at this point, I would just rather wait for the GNEX to become more stable or wait for a newer phone in the future that is BETTER than the GNEX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones