1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support (VZW) Other person can't hear me.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by truelove79, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Benjamin Crist

None

Dec 9, 2009
    Figured. I have been too busy with work and life to look into the release date or really crack open this phone, but I decided to put up with the issue for awhile since it's a Verizon LTE NEXUS phone. :)

Advertisement

2. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    It is a software issue and will most likely be fixed in an official 4.0.3 Verizon update, not a 4.0.3 ROM.

3. Bassale

Bassale Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Minnesota
    has any one tried turning off 4g. I'm not totally convinced yet but I don't think it's ever happened to me in a 3g area or with 4g turned off.

4. Benjamin Crist

None

Dec 9, 2009
    I would imagine this would be correct on both counts. Just curious - do you know this for sure somehow? Why are you able to say for SURE it is a software issue and what version this is likely to be fixed in?

I'm not trying to be hostile, just wanting to know if you have a better source of information.

5. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Do we know it's not fixed in 4.0.3 already? Seems to be for me at least.

6. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    yeah the person on the other end hasn't heard me on a couple phone calls too. probably software related.

did a new sim card resolve this for anyone?

7. Bassale

Bassale Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Minnesota

Not me. New phone hasn't helped either.

8. Benjamin Crist

None

Dec 9, 2009
    3 phones, 4 sim cards - same issue.

9. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    This is EXACTLY what happened to me yesterday. I immediately called back and she couldn't hear me at all. I ended up having to call her on my AT&T Blackberry (yes, I felt dirty using it) in order to finish our conversation.

On the very next call I made (10 minutes or so later) the person was never able to hear me, right from the start I kept getting, "are you there? Did you pocket dial me? hello? etc etc"
    After a reboot, I was able to talk to him but we only spoke for a few minutes so I'm not sure if it would have happened again.

just posted on both of those.
    wow.
    When I first started reading this thread I thought I was going to have to exchange my phone but the more I read, the more I'm starting to believe this is either a massive hardware issue and all phones are eventually going to have the problem or it's a software bug that we'll have to wait and see if it can be resolved with 4.03 (assuming they address it with this update and not a further update)

10. Benjamin Crist

None

Dec 9, 2009
    Sorry for repost, but in case someone didn't see this, there are multiple forums where people are talking about this:

List of Websites showing customers of Verizon using a Google Galaxy Nexus having this problem:

11. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011

yeah i didn't figure a sim card would fix it. all three on my GN's (each with a new sim) didn't fix it either.

just an ICS bug. hopefully the 403 update is indeed coming in a week or two as predicted, and will fix it :)

12. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    Just keeping this thread up-to-date with the ongoing issues:

Back-to-back business calls with dropped mic on me again today. The first was 20 minutes in, the second was just 5 minutes in. If not for this issue, the Nexus would be a perfect phone. I just don't know how many more times I can be embarrassed on an important call, and I don't understand why it only appears to affect some users...

Lucky Armpit likes this.
  13. Benjamin Crist

None

Dec 9, 2009
    This is what makes me most annoyed.

14. truelove79

None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    My guess is that it actually affects all users (in that all phones are susceptible to it), but some haven't noticed it or it simply hasn't happened to them yet, and may never happen to them. But it's not like the bug isn't there for them.

15. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    I haven't had it happen yet (or haven't noticed it yet) and I use about 1400 minutes a month at a minimum.

I use this for work so if there is something with it I will find out soon lol.

16. truelove79

None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    I still assume you're susceptible to it, like the bug is there, but who knows. I'm still convinced it's software and will be fixed.

17. Bassale

Bassale Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Minnesota
    I shouldn't say it but mine has not done this in almost 2 weeks.

18. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    is it sad that after I've been on the phone for a few minutes if there's a pause on the line, I instantly think, "not again!" only to have the person say something a few seconds later and relieve my paranoia

esmith818 likes this.
  19. truelove79

None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    Same here, and I started this thread. I can guarantee it will happen again to me several times before they release a fix.

20. Uzza

Uzza Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Second phone.

And due to it not working for others..Won't even try the Sim Card situation.

Should we try to contact Engadget to rush the process?

21. CounselDew

CounselDew Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2012
    Galaxy Nexus -- known issue.

I tried a new SIM card, did not fix this (last week).
    Verizon sent me a new phone via fed-ex - same problem.

1 - 3 minutes into a call, the person on the other end hears click, click, click, then silence, but I continue to hear them just find.

I called tech support today, and it happened while on the call to tech support :) They can't deny it now... They acknowledge it is a known issue.

They offered to get me on the phone with a Samsung rep since they said it was a Samsung issue... After waiting on hold, the Verizon rep came back and said the Samsung rep said the Galaxy Nexus is Google Phone and that Google will have to fix the issue (hear 'not a hardware issue).

I have yet to hear from Google, but the timing of the whole CDMA signature press release seems to make me think ... related issue?

Anyway... I have not heard Google admitting to the issue, and I am worried about the whole mess. I'd take a Nokia 900 on AT&T just so I could make a call... Really.

22. Jason Stix Buckley

None

Apr 8, 2010
    President - STIX FX Entertainment
    Concord NC USA
    I wanted to add to this since I am having the same issue.

Purchase Location: Concord, NC
    Purchase Date: launch date

I had the problem periodically with my first phone while in the area, not in the area, etc. I could hear the other person, but my voice on their end went to crap or went away completely. I had a new phone set to me a week ago. They had me keep the same battery and sim card. Problem didn't happen initially, but has cropped up on this one too.

611 told me to do the ### send to "document" after it happens again so they can track it (towers, etc).

Signal strength at time of all issues has been fine.

I need to pay more attention to the battery life, but today it did it about four times in a row with the battery under 30%.

Curious ... anyone have a "warm" battery when it happens? Just trying to problem solve ... maybe something with the battery heat is messing something up internally (similiar to the Xbox 360 issues).

Love the phone, hate this problem, and it is embarrassing when on biz calls and I can't hold a convo.

23. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    IT Manager
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Some of you in this thread know me from other threads about this issue, but since this seems to be the central thread for this problem, I'll officially throw my hat in the ring:

Issue: Same as everyone... other party complains that they can't hear me. I can hear them fine. It's like the mic mutes itself.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Software version: Stock, unrooted 4.0.2

Purchase/activation date: 12/24/11

Purchase location: Over the phone so it was shipped to me

I was going to get the phone replaced but seeing that so many people have already been down that road and not had the issue resolved, I didn't bother. I still think it has something to do with the location, as there is a fair amount of us who have the problem that are in NC. At first I thought it was a location problem, as in the eastern part of the state. I'm in Rocky Mount, someone is in New Bern, someone else is in Durham, and yet another in Charlotte. That pretty much runs the width of the state so we're all obviously on different towers. And Rocky Mount doesn't have 4G yet so I can't see it being an LTE issue.

It's weird... I've been two weeks and not had the problem and then it happens several times a day.

24. kklier

kklier Member
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Durham, NC
  25. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    IT Manager
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Anyone have a one-way audio issue yesterday? I had one last night, and it hasn't happened in about a week.

Tags: