• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VZW Unlimited - FoxFi tethering on Nougat

abean

Lurker
Jul 16, 2010
Hey all,

Being that Nougat no longer allows us to tether off FoxFi, curious to learn if there are any work arounds? Would rooting open up new options?

I debated about paying the $30 a month to add WiFi tethering; however, VZW states it will remove my unlimited data.

Also, when using FoxFi's Bluetooth mode, other phones/tablets can connect to my Bluetooth, but when enabling internet access on the target device, it does not work. Tried on an nVidia shield tablet and a Galaxy S5. It automatically switches from on to off without my interaction.

Perhaps it's finally time to cave and just give it up. To drop to a two phone, 40gb plan, only saves me $17. Seems silly to give up Unlimited for a measly $17, but losing tethering abilities has made Unlimited not as necessary.

Thanks

I think it is wrong that the carriers make us pay for tethering, after all, DATA is data regardless whether the phone uses it, or we let a laptop hook up to it.

I grudgingly let go of my VZW unlimited plan a few years ago when I had to add a 3rd smartphone in my family.
I could not afford to keep one line unlimited and purchase two additional smartphone plans....
so, I just converted over to the Family Plan with shared data... now we can have a Hotspot WiFi and use our laptops when we really need to away from home.

My Note 4 is still on 4.4.4 so no problems for me here. The S5 is on 6.x and it works okay too.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones