1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Waiting for 5G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikeyrInFL, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MikeyrInFL

MikeyrInFL Lurker

Refused to cough up all that cash for a new Samsung Galaxy phone. Bought a OnePlus 6 and really like it. My next phone should be 5G, so maybe a OnePlus 8 or whatever. Perhaps in late 2020. We'll see how 5G network rolls out and 5G phone pricing stabilizes... Lost the desire to be on the "bleeding edge" a long time ago

ocnbrze, Unforgiven and Steven58 like this.
  2. Steven58

Good post.

I totally agree with you. in the old days it was easier to be on the bleeding edge when the phone companies subsidized your phones. Now, you pretty much paying for the whole thing. you are probably paying the whole thing beforehand as well, but it seemed as if oh, but it seemed as if we weren't.

And you're right. Why would I shell out money for a 5G phone when there is no 5G in my area? Seems kind of pointless.

#2 Steven58, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. lvt

lvt Android Expert

There will be a long wait to see the 5G covering everywhere. It means that most of 5G subscribers will still have to rely on the existing 4G network and Wi-Fi.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Yup, this year 5G coverage will be patchy and the phones are first generation products. Some networks will be charging a premium for 5G access too. So I see no reason to bother with it this year, maybe not even next.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

No rush for me, I'll happily wait a few (or more) years. LTE/4G is fine, I have zero need for improvement over that and don't see a huge need coming up right away. So yeah, no.

6. Steven58

All good points. I agree with all of you.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

TO HELL WITH Y"ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT MY 5G NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE $2,000 LYING AROUND SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding. yeah i'm gonna wait as well

Steven58 and lvt like this.
  8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

There is nothing, nothing, in this article that makes me want to switch to 5G. Ever.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Gecko114

Gecko114 Lurker

4G/LTE is good enough for now.

10. I totally agree with you guys 4G/LTE are pretty cool right now. so for me no need to rush

Gecko114 likes this.

OnePlus 6 Forum

The OnePlus 6 release date was May 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.28" inch screen, 20MP camera, 6/8GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

May 2018
Release Date
Reviews