• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wake Screen Buttons

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
My Huwaei Ascend 2 wakes only by pressing the power button. That’s no problem right now, but I read horror stories of that button wearing out. So I went insurance-hunting, for an app that can use the volume buttons – the only other two buttons this phone has – to wake the screen.

Lo and behold, I found and tried Fix Broken Power Button, then AnyUnlock. According to their requirements, my phone and 2.3.6 OS should be no problem. Once activated, they show up in Device Administrators like they should. They both get good reviews. But neither one works on my phone.

I’m hoping it’s because of something I’m missing and one of you will set me straight.

I cant think of a solution unless you try an app from a very nice dev, called "flip case control" which turns the screen on when it senses a flip case opening (using the proximity sensor) and turn off when its covered. i helped the dude test battery on it on Jellybean on the s3 and it let the phone go into full sleep :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Finally found one that doesn’t require shaking or waving, just volume keys, like I was looking for in the first place... Even paid a whole dollar for Power On Volume (Button Fix).

It doesn’t seem to use excess power, but something sure looks wrong. Apps > Battery Usage shows it as using 96 percent. That measurement is is just a comparison and isn’t showing real numbers used, so maybe there’s nothing actually wrong... have an email to the dev about this.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Now, for the time being, I’ve given up and uninstalled it. Three reasons:

• I thought it worked almost all the time, but that has deteriorated.
• I don’t care for the memory percentage issue, whatever it means.
• I don’t really need an alternate method, just felt like it would be wise to have one.

But if it’s not a flawless alternative, what’s the point?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones