1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Waking the Screen so WiFi doesn't Sleep

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by djMot, May 4, 2016.

1. djMot

djMot Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    I use XiiaLive to listen to Internet radio, and I own and operate two Internet radio stations, so I use XiiaLive a lot! When listening on the mobile network, the stream is reliable and does not drop out, but of course it takes its toll on my data plan. Listening on WiFi (which is available to me a great deal of the time) is another story. Constant "drops" and a real frustrating listening experience.

I've realized that the problem is apparently with the Android WiFi sleep policy and is not phone or carrier specific. It's an issue with Android itself which does not honor the "WiFi - Advanced - Keep WiFi on during sleep - Always" setting. So when the screen goes to sleep, shortly thereafter, so does the stream and XiiaLive stops playing.

I'm using an HTC One M9 on AT&T running Lollipop 5.1 - still waiting for AT&T/HTC to get their collective poop in a group and push out Marshmallow. Don't know if Marshmallow will fix this issue or not anyway, so...

I'm proficient enough with Tasker, and I also have LUX installed, so I figured a good workaround for my morning alarm fuction (wake to XiiaLive) would be to create a profile that wakes up the screen, then uses LUX to set the brightness to -50% so as to keep the stream alive, but not drive the screen at normal brightness. But I then ran into an additional roadblock which is that Android apparently blocks apps like Tasker from waking the screen up. Tasker has a "Display - Turn On" function, but it's in red indicating it's not available. Possibly with root? But I'm on an AT&T Next plan which involves surrendering the phone when exchanging it for a new one, and they might not proceed with the exchange if the phone is rooted, so rooting is not an option.

So I know I have to be able to wake the screen at times when I cannot do it manually just in order to keep an Internet stream alive on WiFi, but the most intuitive ways are apparently blocked. Does anyone know of an app I can use to wake the screen via a Tasker? Or if you can see a better way altogether, I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Not sure how this would help you, but I use GreenPower as a battery saving app. One of its features is that it can override Android sleep policy so you can control the Wifi connection. I've set mine to not disconnect when screen turns off, and so far I've had no problems.

djMot likes this.
  3. djMot

djMot Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Actually, the initial test this morning showed really good promise! GreenPower has a setting to "Keep WiFi enabled only if connected" setting that seems to be working to keep WiFi alive when the phone is sleeping. If this continues to work through other tests, I'll send GreenPower the $3 and change they ask for the Pro version to get rid of the stupid flashing CM ads in the free version, and to unlock additional features.

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Lol I paid for this so long ago that I forgot some features were locked in the free version. Good thing the setting you needed wasn't.

djMot likes this.
  5. djMot

djMot Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    This does seem like a WIN after a few more tests, so I've paid the developer and have gone Pro with the app. Thanks for the great tip, chanchan05!

chanchan05 likes this.