• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Walk Me Thru Rooting My Eris

you might try and restoring the 4th backup that you dint try... ima guess its the one that will get you back to your setup xtrsense ;)

no,you should not have to go back to your stock rom and re-back everything up. once you go to a new rom and download the app you used to back up the other apps,you can use it to restore them :)

heres another lil somethin you might do to help you out... after you make your backup,go back to restore,click your phones id to list your backups. you should see the one that you just made. at this point write it down and start keeping a list of whats what. ive prolly got over 200 backups for 4 phones :eek: theres no way id remember it all,lol.

heres one other thot on scarys tracball optional recovery. since hes currently modding it to work with GSB,you might just simply restore your rooted stock rom and install the custom recovery there. it will work for sure on the stock rom,and is permanent. after you do it,its there forever no matter what rom you are using :)

Upvote 0
Well I didn't use TiB I used another program. And now I'm running skyfire as my web browser. So is the only way to get back the stock one, is to backup where I'm at now and then go back to the stock rom and get it from there? I'm using xtrsense.

unfortunately,no. youll need to restore a backup of xtrsense where the stock browser is present and working. if you dont have one,then the best thing is to wipe it all and reinstall the rom. if you dont want to do that i dont think its a big deal. i never use the stock brower,i use either skyfire or dolphin mini. unless you have a wierd issue that arrises from the lack of the stock browser,you can leave it well enuff alone. i dont think the stock broswer being gone will matter.

it techically is possible to find the .apk and move it from one rom to another,but at this point i dont think thats a good idea for you to try. maybe a little later when your more comfortable with all this :)

Upvote 0
Thanks alot, I appreciate it. I'm worried about trying that program again to delete the unneeded bloat apps on my phone because of what happened last night. I was being careful when I was using it too, which is what makes me mad that I screwed something up. Oh well. I like the skyfire browser better anyways. Alright I guess I'll just make a backup of what I have now and then play around with the others that I have to see what they are and be sure of it. Now should I get rid of any of my backups that I know I won't use? Although I predict I will be told to keep them because you never know what can happen and they will always be there to fall back on. But either way I have to ask. Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Thanks alot, I appreciate it. I'm worried about trying that program again to delete the unneeded bloat apps on my phone because of what happened last night. I was being careful when I was using it too, which is what makes me mad that I screwed something up. Oh well. I like the skyfire browser better anyways. Alright I guess I'll just make a backup of what I have now and then play around with the others that I have to see what they are and be sure of it. Now should I get rid of any of my backups that I know I won't use? Although I predict I will be told to keep them because you never know what can happen and they will always be there to fall back on. But either way I have to ask. Thanks again!!

You got it chief. All ways keep your backups. A few anyways.

Upvote 0
what i do is only keep a few on the phone. the rest i move to the pc and keep them there. ive still got every backup ive ever made on any of my phones on my puter :eek::)

nothing wrong with deleting a few that youy know you wont ever restore,but like bc said,make sure you keep a few of know,good working ones in case you need them.

Upvote 0
Thanks again everyone. I now have another question. Tonight I have been loosing my internet on my phone. This has never happened before. Is this a verizon problem by chance? Also I have noticed I can't do any normal updates on my phone program wise. It says I have a custom rom and it will force close, which it does. So how do I get any updates? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
do you know if you were still able to access the internet over wifi when you were having data prollems? verizon did have an issue a couple days ago,but it has supposedly been resolved,unless its an area specific prollem where you are. wich is possible :)

what updates are you refering to? there was an update a couple months ago whose changes have been incorporated into xtrsense,and also the changes have been made into a flashable zip for other stock based roms.

i personally would be surprised if there were any updates past that,but if there are,fear not,the developers will get the updates,and either package them up into flashable zips,or into their current roms,just like what happened the last time.

so,fear not,you wont be missing anything in the way of OTA software upgrades :)

Upvote 0
The March update is the most recent update put out for the Eris. Most likely the last as well. As Scotty said, xtrSense has been updated to incorporate the March OTA as well as xtrRom. Custom Roms though have OTA updates disabled... applying an OTA will cause you to lose your root access and you would have to start the process over again as far as I know.

Upvote 0
Amon_Ra should block the update. i set my phone back to my rooted 2.1 when the march ota hit,and tried to apply it just to see what whould happen :D

it went thru all the motions of downloading and installing,and tho it said it had completed successfully,it failed quite harmlessly without taking my root away,or any other disastrous consequences. of course,it dint actually update anything either :eek:

it should be noted that as long as youre using a 2.2 or 2.3 rom,you wont get pestered with a 2.1 update :)

in order to even consider installing an OTA youll need to replace Amon with the stock recovery.

Upvote 0
When I came to this board I was completely clueless. I'm still learning. It just takes time and reading. When I first rooted, I used the 1-Click method with the Root Me zip. Since I've learned how to flash ROMs and have tried several. Recently, my trackball broke and I was afraid I would have to send the phone back to Verizon. So I read on XDA how to unroot using Flashback. And unrooted.

Then, at the sage advice of the peeps here, I re-rooted my phone using the Universal Root for Dummies Method and putting Scary's No Trackball Needed Amon's on my phone at the same time. Boy, did I learn a lot having to do that!

Maybe next I will tackle ADB.

My point is - baby step it and read a lot. There are amazing tutorials and threads on this forum to help with just about anything!

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Maybe next I will tackle ADB.

My point is - baby step it and read a lot. There are amazing tutorials and threads on this forum to help with just about anything!

Good luck! :)

kpg,

You've certainly come a long way since your first post :).

BTW, Scotty's a great resource for learning adb...I'm sure he'd be happy to help guide you (as we all would).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
you should!

ADB is fun. ive backed up,wiped,and flashed a rom,wiped and restored a backup,turned my s-off bootloader back to s-on,unrooted,re-rooted,changed around recoveries,all thru ADB.

after learning a lil bit about it its not nearly as scary anymore. :cool:

It's definitely next on my list. The more I do with my phone, the more I learn and understand. So I think tackling ADB would def. help me!

Upvote 0
this thread has the video that i used to get adb setup:
http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/311299-more-adb-questions.html
heres some basic adb commands:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/187820-how-adb-commands.html

ive read that the hardest part of getting adb working is getting it to see your phone. you can install the htc sync drivers and see if that works,or use these universal drivers: http://androidforums.com/incredible...ivers-adb-bootloader-disk-drive-htc-sync.html im pretty sure i used them and they worked on the eris. ive got 3 htc phones,so im not really sure what drivers are making them all work,lol :eek:

if you get comfortable with it scary put a link in the forth post on this thread: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/303612-so-i-want-re-root-adb.html it will take you to the thread where eu1 listed the commands for making backups and flashing roms. :D

Reactions: knitpurlgurl
Upvote 0
Thanks, for all the info. And yes i was able to get wifi. It fixed itself by sunrise so i'm guessing it was the network issue. I am so going to have to keep reading on here because i have no clue what adb is. Lol. Right now my desktop is down...I am going nuts without it because my eris can only go so fast. The stinking comp is only a year old! Power supply is the problem, won't turn on at all. Hope to have it fixed tomorrow. I'll check on here as much as I can with my eris. Hey on another side note, one of the verizon tech guys told me that they scrapped the bionic. Is this true? I tried looking it up and didn't see anything that said it for sure. Also I can't get my stock email app to work. I will post more on that in the morning.

Upvote 0
Thanks, for all the info. And yes i was able to get wifi. It fixed itself by sunrise so i'm guessing it was the network issue. I am so going to have to keep reading on here because i have no clue what adb is. Lol. Right now my desktop is down...I am going nuts without it because my eris can only go so fast. The stinking comp is only a year old! Power supply is the problem, won't turn on at all. Hope to have it fixed tomorrow. I'll check on here as much as I can with my eris. Hey on another side note, one of the verizon tech guys told me that they scrapped the bionic. Is this true? I tried looking it up and didn't see anything that said it for sure. Also I can't get my stock email app to work. I will post more on that in the morning.

Motorola DROID Bionic Slowly Being Wiped Away From OEM’s Site? April 27th, 2011

Droid Bionic Shall Launch Around The Same Time As Motorola Xoom’s LTE April 28th, 2011

If you scroll down the homepage to Android News & Talk that's where everybody gets their info. ;)

Edit: That's where I get my info.

Upvote 0
i normally get alot of info from an app on my ipod called "skygrid". it basically takes all the web news and puts it in one place,lol. there are all kinds of categories(mobile is just my favorite :p)

i havent been on it as much lately tho... its the one thing that apple has over on us. if they had an an android version for my phone i would not be slackin on the 411 as i currently am,lol. lately i just use the news here and occasionally engadget.

well, skygrid and the chipotle app ;) so i guess thats 2 things... most everything else theres an equivalent :D

Upvote 0
Ok so the stock email app that comes on the eris worked fine after I rooted. I screwed something else up on my phone and had to load an earlier rooted backup and skipped the email setup intending to do it later. When I went to do it later only my actual gmail will link to my phone on the stock app. Verizon was no help and had me download the yahoo mail app. I'd much rather have one app for all my emails, mainly the one that came with the phone. Also to add to that I can't add an email account to the stock app because it keeps coming up and force closing when I hit the add email account button. Thanks in advance for the help.

Upvote 0
Ok so the stock email app that comes on the eris worked fine after I rooted. I screwed something else up on my phone and had to load an earlier rooted backup and skipped the email setup intending to do it later. When I went to do it later only my actual gmail will link to my phone on the stock app. Verizon was no help and had me download the yahoo mail app. I'd much rather have one app for all my emails, mainly the one that came with the phone. Also to add to that I can't add an email account to the stock app because it keeps coming up and force closing when I hit the add email account button. Thanks in advance for the help.

what rom are you currently running?

Upvote 0
I really like the xtrasense rom but I'm thinking I'm ready to try another rom. The process is the same right? Just download it the same as before and then unzip it and all? I'm not exactly sure if I want to go thru all the same redoing of my settings as I did before but just to see a different rom might be cool and then go back to the other one. Now I will say that my custom ringtones that I already had on my phone when I try to assign them to contacts they play fine but when that contact calls me the ringtone breaks up and cuts in and out the whole time. Is that a product of the rom or the program or what? It didn't do any of this when I was on the stock rom. I told you all I would have a ton of questions! :-D

Upvote 0
I really like the xtrasense rom but I'm thinking I'm ready to try another rom. The process is the same right? Just download it the same as before and then unzip it and all? I'm not exactly sure if I want to go thru all the same redoing of my settings as I did before but just to see a different rom might be cool and then go back to the other one. Now I will say that my custom ringtones that I already had on my phone when I try to assign them to contacts they play fine but when that contact calls me the ringtone breaks up and cuts in and out the whole time. Is that a product of the rom or the program or what? It didn't do any of this when I was on the stock rom. I told you all I would have a ton of questions! :-D

here is what id do if i was you:
-boot into recovery
-make a backup
-wipe only dalvik cache-do NOT wipe data(this will keep you from having to re-set everything up)
-reflash xtr sense
now reboot your phone and see if that fixes the prollem you were having with your email. if it does,then great! you can stay with it if you want to. or if you still want to try a different one go for it,you can try as many as you like and restore the one that you decide you want to stay with :)

your ringtone prollem isnt typical of a custom rom- ive never had that issue,not sure what may be going on there. maybe reflashing the xtrsense as i described above will fix that too?

to cahnge roms,yes the procedure is the same,but does not involve unzipping the rom.

here is my procedure:
-download rom (and gapps if needed) to PC
-transfer zipped rom(and gapps if needed) to SD card via usb cable
-boot into recovery
-backup current rom
-wipe data/cache/dalvik cache
-flash new rom
-flash gapps if needed
-reboot and enjoy :)

on the gapps,when you are flashing a rom thats based on a cyanogenmod(CM) rom,such as cm6 froyo roms(nonsensikal,CELB,etc) or a cm7 gingerbgread rom(condemned cm7,GSB) you will need to flash gapps seperately to get certain google apps like the market. gapps="google apps add on". the developer thread will list a download for the gapps,if its needed.

so if you dont see any mention of gapps in the first post of a rom developers thread,then you shouldnt need it. stock based roms will not need it(xtrsense,xtrrom,tainted tenzo)

last and not least- references to backups are in red,so you dont accidentally forget that step. you should ALWAYS make a backup before changing or modifying your phone :)

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

I'll echo Scotty on everything he said - especially reflashing xtrSENSE over what you have. Just as an FYI, for some reason I had deleted my xtrSENSE Nandroid backup, so when I wanted to go back to it last week I ended up restoring my old stock ROM Nandroid backup that I was running in early March and then just flashed xtrSENSE right over it - it's working just fine. Do a Nandroid backup first, then just flash xtrSENSE over (you shouldn't need to wipe Dalvik cache, either, since you will not be replacing any of your third party apps at all), but it won't hurt to wipe Dalvik - it will just make the first restart take longer.

One thing I will correct is the part that I bolded above - you never unzip a flashable ROM. They are flashed right from the zip file.

As for the custom ringtone problem, this is not something that I do anymore - I tried early on with stock Eris and ended up having my contacts somehow get synced without the custom ringtone anyway, so I stopped bothering. However, did you ever make any changes to xtrSENSE's clock speeds? Did you change the default minimum from 245 MHz, or the default maximum from 710 MHz, using gscripts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones