• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Walked in with my hero, out with my free EVO!

sprint doesn't have customer service, they have "transfer you to india then back to chile, then to america...maybe...and then drop your call."

amazing how a phone company can have one of the worst telephone systems.

anyway, i would get the evo...im used to lugging big objects in my pants. :eek:

used to steal 40s as a teen. :D

Upvote 0
this post makes me sick!

best buy has much better customer service than the sprint store it appears. took my phone to the sprint store twice before i got a used hero!

lucky lucky bastage!

When your renewal upgrade comes up, walk on in and buy away. :) You don't have to get the Sprint Phone at Sprint. ;)

Sam's club is good too. At least mine is.

3.7" Evo would be perfect. :D

Upvote 0
i dont OC.. i dont understand how to use that OC app, but I'm happy with the speed my phone has right now!

it's not very hard and can save you quite a bit of battery (actually underclocking will save battery)

download setcpu or overclock widget, alternatively there's a batterytweak that will do it as well. the last needs to be flashed from recovery.

my evo is a night and day difference, even with the hero oc'd, rooted and with a custom rom the evo unrooted just flies.

there's definitely more impact showing my friends with iphones the benefits of android using my evo over my hero!

Upvote 0
it's not very hard and can save you quite a bit of battery (actually underclocking will save battery)

download setcpu or overclock widget, alternatively there's a batterytweak that will do it as well. the last needs to be flashed from recovery.

my evo is a night and day difference, even with the hero oc'd, rooted and with a custom rom the evo unrooted just flies.

there's definitely more impact showing my friends with iphones the benefits of android using my evo over my hero!

Funny, who would think the Hero could outperform the Evo?:thinking: I would hope it's night and day, lol;)

Upvote 0
I know I am late to this thread but I have not had anywhere near the same experience as the OP. So much so that I highly doubt it's actually true.

My wife has had some reception issues with her Hero. I will easily have 3-4 bars with my Evo and she will have 0 on her Hero. We called Sprint twice about this. Each time they went through the same BS of updating the PRL, them doing some OTA junk and no dice. Finally the tech people on the phone told us to take it to an official Sprint repair store.

The store tech completely wiped out her phone (Yes, all apps and data gone...good thing contacts are saved to Google and not on the phone) and "update" her phone.

Now the speaker doesn't work, no media volume, settings don

Upvote 0
I know I am late to this thread but I have not had anywhere near the same experience as the OP. So much so that I highly doubt it's actually true.

My wife has had some reception issues with her Hero. I will easily have 3-4 bars with my Evo and she will have 0 on her Hero. We called Sprint twice about this. Each time they went through the same BS of updating the PRL, them doing some OTA junk and no dice. Finally the tech people on the phone told us to take it to an official Sprint repair store.

The store tech completely wiped out her phone (Yes, all apps and data gone...good thing contacts are saved to Google and not on the phone) and "update" her phone.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
did you read the OP? he went to best buy when he bought his phone. that makes all the difference in the world.

if your wife is truly having issues with her hero keep squeaky wheeling sprint, tell them you may cancel service if they don't do right by you and get a different phone in her hands. eventually they'll do the right thing.

with me they allowed me a 9 month early upgrade to an evo, i still paid the upgrade price, but god was it good to get rid of that hero.

also take the phone to the sprint store when you want a replacement, they sent me at least one refurbed hero free of charge. it didn't help, the phone sucks plain and simple, but if you want to give it a try, that's the cheapest way to refurb hell.

now of course you'll get people telling you the hero is awesome, but we know the truth :p

Well, I never expected the Hero to wash my clothes, clean my car, make me dinner and support full flash, but yea, the Evo is still better:p

Upvote 0
Well, I never expected the Hero to wash my clothes, clean my car, make me dinner and support full flash, but yea, the Evo is still better:p

i only expected it to run the native version of android/sense at a normal speed. if my mom's little htc aria can run buttery smooth there's almost no reason the hero with pretty similar specs should feel so sluggish in comparison.

then sprint dropped the ball by not giving it froyo, which helps considerably, but was still somehow subpar IMHO.

i know i'm giving the hero a really hard time in the HERO forum, but man that was the worst phone experience i've ever had.

Upvote 0
i only expected it to run the native version of android/sense at a normal speed. if my mom's little htc aria can run buttery smooth there's almost no reason the hero with pretty similar specs should feel so sluggish in comparison.

then sprint dropped the ball by not giving it froyo, which helps considerably, but was still somehow subpar IMHO.

i know i'm giving the hero a really hard time in the HERO forum, but man that was the worst phone experience i've ever had.

To each their own;) I seem to remember you rooted also, so......your experience was just as bad?:rolleyes::thinking:

Upvote 0
yup, totally lying about the hero sucking, so is everyone else who has found the phone to be a pile, it's a conspiracy! we're out to discredit the name of your wonderful phone :/

Wow, chill out man.:thinking::thinking: I'm not disagreeing with that the Hero is a pile of .... but running the sense ui on an under performing processor is just that. The Hero, imo, was better suited for running stock android and NOT the HTC Sense UI, period. Hence, why the phone performs better running an AOSP rom. It also does not help that HTC allowed 512 as the max frequency when most, if not all HERO's that are oc'ed, can easily handle 691. Most handle a lowly 768 just fine.

So, hopefully, we can agree that Sprint/HTC made a mistake putting the Sense UI on the Hero and HTC/Sprint would have been better off sticking the stock Android OS for the Hero.

Upvote 0
I got ya. I did have mine rooted and cm6 installed, as well as overclocked and it still ran somehow noticeably slower than an aria with sense on eclair.

I realize the aria has better hardware, but it's not leaps and bounds over the hero. Leaves me scratching my head as to how a very much modded hero still trails a stock aria in UI performance. Sometimes I do something for my mom on her aria and I honestly think the UI seems quicker than sense on my evo at times.

Upvote 0
I got ya. I did have mine rooted and cm6 installed, as well as overclocked and it still ran somehow noticeably slower than an aria with sense on eclair.

I realize the aria has better hardware, but it's not leaps and bounds over the hero. Leaves me scratching my head as to how a very much modded hero still trails a stock aria in UI performance. Sometimes I do something for my mom on her aria and I honestly think the UI seems quicker than sense on my evo at times.

Believe me, I had an update for my phone on Oct 1, if wasn't for the $10 charge for 4G, I would have gotten the Evo then. Now that 4G is here in Ohio, I may look at the Evo again. But with technology moving forward so quickly, I will wait till after CES to see what Sprint has to offer. Enjoy your Evo:D:D I may join soon enough

Upvote 0
I'm rooted with cm6 and my hero is the shiz. It's basically an evo without flash and video chat. 4g is overrated for the cost. Don't get me wrong, my upgrade is in July. And I'm probably gonna push to get it early for an evo. But my hero is running 2.2 and will probably have 2.3 before that happens, so I'm pretty content with what I have right now.

Upvote 0
now of course you'll get people telling you the hero is awesome, but we know the truth :p

Which truth is that? There is a difference between a shoddy user experience provided by Sprint and the hardware one uses? If one leaves themselves to the whim of Sprint/Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile, you will invariably come across a lousy experience. Take matters into your own hands and that could be different. I know it is for me!

The Evo is not some fix all. I upgraded to the Hero in March and love my phone. It's hard not to running AOSP's extremely speedy Froyo, very nimble. But yeah, I'm just saying that because I'm jealous of a phone I could easily afford tomorrow if I wanted it.:rolleyes: And this forum, and the efforts at XDA are merely for naught.

My next upgrade will be a dual core and proper 4G (LTE) and 720p vid *at an acceptable framerate* w/o the Herman Munster-esque physique and not the least bit interested in being annoyed by Sprint for a nominal upgrade that carries a higher TCO.

Upvote 0
Which truth is that? There is a difference between a shoddy user experience provided by Sprint and the hardware one uses? If one leaves themselves to the whim of Sprint/Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile, you will invariably come across a lousy experience. Take matters into your own hands and that could be different. I know it is for me!

The Evo is not some fix all. I upgraded to the Hero in March and love my phone. It's hard not to running AOSP's extremely speedy Froyo, very nimble. But yeah, I'm just saying that because I'm jealous of a phone I could easily afford tomorrow if I wanted it.:rolleyes: And this forum, and the efforts at XDA are merely for naught.

My next upgrade will be a dual core and proper 4G (LTE) and 720p vid *at an acceptable framerate* w/o the Herman Munster-esque physique and not the least bit interested in being annoyed by Sprint for a nominal upgrade that carries a higher TCO.

Agree 100%. I'm letting my wife, who's stuck with an Intercept, take my upgrade next month and get an EVO, which I'm sure will make her very happy. Myself, I'm happy running AOSP and I LOVE the Hero after making several modifications. It does everything I need it to.

And for those of you who think the Hero is crap, I invite you to try a Samsung Intercept.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones