• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wallet updates from Market

Huh?

I'm still on Google Wallet 1.1 R41-v8, which I sideloaded shortly after the first links appeared for non-rooted devices. I see no sign of the app on Market, and have received no notices about an update.

But it's been working great for me, so I'm not really going out of my way to mess with it.

Edit... So scratch that, I reset my side-loaded wallet (menu>settings>reset GW), uninstalled it, and reinstalled it from Market using the XDA instructions & video here: http://www.androidauthority.com/how...the-market-on-the-verizon-galaxy-nexus-50510/

It appears I'm up and running and should expect future updates since I'm now seeing it listed in market.

Thanks, reezw, for bringing this update to my attention.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Huh?

I'm still on Google Wallet 1.1 R41-v8, which I sideloaded shortly after the first links appeared for non-rooted devices. I see no sign of the app on Market, and have received no notices about an update.

But it's been working great for me, so I'm not really going out of my way to mess with it.

Edit... So scratch that, I reset my side-loaded wallet (menu>settings>reset GW), uninstalled it, and reinstalled it from Market using the XDA instructions & video here: Download Google Wallet in the Android Market - Verizon Galaxy Nexus

It appears I'm up and running and should expect future updates since I'm now seeing it listed in market.

Thanks, reezw, for bringing this update to my attention.

I got it working following the video. Now I can actually feel safe about using it! Thanks.

Upvote 0
There had been some concerns about installing Google Wallet on the Vzw GNex, I think they were mainly because individuals were doing so on rooted devices, which I guess left vulnerability for some sensitive information.

Is this method safe to have Google Wallet on your phone? My device isn't Rooted. I suppose I shouldn't be concerned? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
There had been some concerns about installing Google Wallet on the Vzw GNex, I think they were mainly because individuals were doing so on rooted devices, which I guess left vulnerability for some sensitive information.

Is this method safe to have Google Wallet on your phone? My device isn't Rooted. I suppose I shouldn't be concerned? Thanks in advance!

With the latest update it is apparently safe for un-rooted phones. And even rooted, is as safe as your regular wallet.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I noticed something the other day:

Wallet doesn't show up in my list of installed apps anymore. (Play store ->My Apps) but it is in the list of "All" apps, which includes stuff I downloaded on my old Android phone too. I was able to update it from there. So it seems like we're not going to be notified of updates.

Still haven't used this since I spent my free $10, but I sure am keeping a close eye on it.

Upvote 0
I use GW all the time! My favorite part was when I was out with a friend of mine who is a total iPhone fanboy, discussing our phones and getting some snacks and drinks at 7-11. I told him that I could just do more with my Nexus than he could do with his iPhone. He said that he could do anything I could do, but did admit it might be a little slower because he doesn't have 4G. I knew I had an ace up my sleeve though that would squash his argument.

Then we got to the counter, I paid with Google Wallet, and asked him to do the same with his iPhone.

Victory was mine, and it was sweet. :)

Upvote 0
I use GW all the time! My favorite part was when I was out with a friend of mine who is a total iPhone fanboy, discussing our phones and getting some snacks and drinks at 7-11. I told him that I could just do more with my Nexus than he could do with his iPhone. He said that he could do anything I could do, but did admit it might be a little slower because he doesn't have 4G. I knew I had an ace up my sleeve though that would squash his argument.

Then we got to the counter, I paid with Google Wallet, and asked him to do the same with his iPhone.

I would have said you should have bet him the round of snacks that you could do something he couldn't, but the act of beating him would require you paying, so that was out...

Upvote 0

That would have been a lot of fun to see.

Upvote 0
Wallet doesn't show up in my list of installed apps anymore. (Play store ->My Apps) but it is in the list of "All" apps, ... So it seems like we're not going to be notified of updates.

Aw, for Sergi's sake, what the eff, el Goog?!?

rezeew, thanks for pointing this out. I see I missed the v5 update on April 13th.

I just tried the previously talked about end-around method to update my v4 version (which has been working flawlessly), and the process went went without a hitch.

Alas, even with the update, it's still not showing in my "Installed" apps list in the Play store. Damn it. Hopefully the Sprint Nexus can stoke this fire.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones