1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wallpaper keeps disappearing!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Chief, Jun 3, 2011.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member Thread Starter
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Hey folks!

I know I know, my OG Droid is getting long in the tooth and is starting to get senile... but until the Galaxy S II comes out, she's my phone of choice. Here's the deal:

Almost every time I close the stock browser (and sometimes all by itself), the homescreen shows up with the basic UD wallpaper and my live wallpaper is GONE! I have to go to the blank spot and set up the LWP all over again. And then sometimes THAT doesn't even help.

Maybe it's a memory management issue? I have 38.52MB spare on the phone's internal storage. A reboot seems to help, but the problem is becoming more and more persistent. I'm running UD2.5 (don't bash me, my Droid doesn't like GB) with stock kernel. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: I cleaned cache and now have 49MB free internally, if that helps :)

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Sounds like LWP is being FC'd. Try using the setting to force it to remain in memory and see if that helps (and doesn't start to kill your phone overall b/c of lack of RAM).

BTW, I went to a local VZW corp store, and the dude at the counter told me 1) He's never heard of the GSII, and that he got the Charge for his personal phone and it does everything he needs it to for him and so should be able to do it for anyone and it is the most expensive phone they sell, so I should just look at that, and 2) Since the Charge just came out, he has never heard of another release so close to one like that so there is probably gonna be no whatever that phone was by Samsung b/c I haven't heard anything about it.

I'm gonna start calling custserv instead of dealing with the idiots in the stores....un *******-real.

3. The_Chief

None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    Manchester, TN
    (a) I've looked through the Settings and can find nothing close to "lock wallpaper in memory". Could you kindly point me in the right direction? Thanks!

(b) I went into a nearby "Premium Reseller" today and got the deer-in-the-headlights look when I asked about the GS2. Clearly the people in the forums and online in general are FAR more informed than the people who work at, or for, Big Red. No doubt when word leaks, Phandroid will be there to sop it up :)

4. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    Since we're talkign LWP, it's menu softkey --> Preferences (for LWP) --> General Settings --> Keep in Memory

CM7 has it in the CM Settings as well, and it works with whatever your home app is, stock ADW, ADW EX, LWP, etc. - but I don't think it is in UD. I really don't know, though, b/c I haven't run a GB-based UD ROM at all.

5. The_Chief

None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    Manchester, TN
    When I hit the menu softkey, the LauncherPro Preferences come up and there are no LWP settings that I can find there. I think I've been through every setting on the phone and I'm starting to think it ain't there...

Keep in mind, too, that GB never ran right on my Droid so I'm still on the Froyo UD 2.5 :eek:

6. johnlgalt

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    Shouldn't matter - It's LWP.

Is LWP installed *with* UD 2.5? That may be the difference.

When I hit the Menu soft key from the home screen, I see: Add - Wallpaper - Search - Notifications - Preferences (that's LWP's settings) and Settings (the normal Android Settings).

The_Chief likes this.
  7. The_Chief

None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    Manchester, TN
    Thank you for leading the blind here, got it. We'll see it THAT resolves the problem. Time will tell...