• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanna know why Galaxy S 3 is ugly? Blame Apple and lawyers

I think to blame this on Apple is a cop out. Samsung has copied Siri with S Voice which is identical, so I don't see any worries there.
They have introduced a micro sim, again a copy from Apple, so I don't see nothing there. They have certainly tried to copy Apple with marketing the phone, so again I don't see nothing there. They have kept the single home button, so again I see nothing there what so ever.
When The Galaxy S2 was revealed I found this forum and it was awash with hype. I went off here and pre ordered.
The galaxy S3 however has left me dissapointed. HTC One X has managed to be nice with good build quality, copied the non removable battery, no micro sd card slot, micro sim etc with no worries about Apple, so why have Samsung gone down this road?

Upvote 0
I think to blame this on Apple is a cop out. Samsung has copied Siri with S Voice which is identical, so I don't see any worries there.
They have introduced a micro sim, again a copy from Apple, so I don't see nothing there. They have certainly tried to copy Apple with marketing the phone, so again I don't see nothing there. They have kept the single home button, so again I see nothing there what so ever.
When The Galaxy S2 was revealed I found this forum and it was awash with hype. I went off here and pre ordered.
The galaxy S3 however has left me dissapointed. HTC One X has managed to be nice with good build quality, copied the non removable battery, no micro sd card slot, micro sim etc with no worries about Apple, so why have Samsung gone down this road?

The answer is Samsung is at fierce lawsuit war with Apple as we all know. So they need to try to differentiate their flagship in some way, which shows in curvy/rounded design, non symmetric top/bottom bezel, etc and some smart gesture/motion features. I think they have done nice work on that. They could have stressed hardware instead of all those software, human friendly features like Apple did. But did Apple invent such style of presentation? HTC on the other hand can get away with those features without much worry because they are not Apple's main target in lawsuit yet.

Honestly I don't know what's so original about iPhone's features. Siri was developed by company Apple acquired and androids had voice search, text features well before Siri. Video calling existed well before facetime. Did apple invent micro sim in phone? I didn't know about that.

Upvote 0

It extends past phones.

Apple basically have a patent on a black rectangle. They are currently trying to stop the Galaxy Tab being sold in the USA because it infringes this patent and has caused Apple hardship (!) because Samsung apparently copied the (patented) idea of a black rectangle.

Given that sort of situation Samsung would of been very foolish to release another phone that might possibly contravene the patent - as the article shows, unequal corners, its not black etc. Subtle differences but enough to see any case Apple tried to raise being thrown out.

The thing I don't get is look at all the other phones out there- many of them infringe the patent too. I can only presume Apple are scared of Samsung getting a decent foothold in the market so are targeting them first - if they had won against the SG2 I think they would of gone after HTC and other manufacturers.

Upvote 0
It extends past phones.

Apple basically have a patent on a black rectangle. They are currently trying to stop the Galaxy Tab being sold in the USA because it infringes this patent and has caused Apple hardship (!) because Samsung apparently copied the (patented) idea of a black rectangle.

Given that sort of situation Samsung would of been very foolish to release another phone that might possibly contravene the patent - as the article shows, unequal corners, its not black etc. Subtle differences but enough to see any case Apple tried to raise being thrown out.

The thing I don't get is look at all the other phones out there- many of them infringe the patent too. I can only presume Apple are scared of Samsung getting a decent foothold in the market so are targeting them first - if they had won against the SG2 I think they would of gone after HTC and other manufacturers.

Apple has gone after HTC and Motorola Mobility, too. Just not with the same fervor that they go after Samsung. Although, with the recent decision from a Federal Judge asking Apple to drop a number of it's litigation (and Apple complied, for now) and their new CEO not wanting to continue the frivolous lawsuits that Steve Jobs started to 'take down Android', I'm hoping that the whole thing quiets down to the 'normal' levels of inter company lawsuit slaps.

Upvote 0
Apple has gone after HTC and Motorola Mobility, too. Just not with the same fervor that they go after Samsung. Although, with the recent decision from a Federal Judge asking Apple to drop a number of it's litigation (and Apple complied, for now) and their new CEO not wanting to continue the frivolous lawsuits that Steve Jobs started to 'take down Android', I'm hoping that the whole thing quiets down to the 'normal' levels of inter company lawsuit slaps.

Google ought to call it's next operating system "Applesauce".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones