1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wannabe Droidee Here! Need Help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dv310p3r, Jan 3, 2011.

1. dv310p3r

dv310p3r Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Happy New Year Everyone!

I am fishing for suggestions on a new cellphone, here are my needs and wants:

- No contract carrier
    - Android phone
    - Good camera (video and photo)
    - Functional eReader (I enjoy Gutenberg Project books)
    - $300 to $400 budget
    - iPhone like touch responsiveness
    - WiFi
    - GPS

Here's some background on my situation. I really want an android phone, but I find the ones that are on Metro PCS lackluster for my needs. I just purchased the new Huawaie Ascend phone for my wife and you can certainly tell it's a $100 phone. It's got shoddy touch sensitivity, it lags, I mean it is what I expected. It's a perfectly good phone for my wife, but not me. I'm a bit more of a power user than she is.

My friend has his iPhone 3GS ported over to Simple Talk and he's paying $60 a month for unlimited everything. I was thinking of getting a 3GS and doing the same thing. BUT I HATE APPLE AND EVERYTHING THEY STAND FOR. I would be a trader to my own kind of I went in that direction. So I am trying to avoid it at all costs.

I am not familiar with the Android line of phones so I don't know which ones can be bought and ported to other 3rd tier carriers like Simple Talk, Boost, Metro PCS, etc...

Please suggest a few phones so that I may begin my research on the right foot. Also, please feel free to provide any education material you can.

You'll be helping me avoid the iPhone.

Thank you,

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

For quickest response try posting your question to the Android Lounge. You'll likely get more responses there than here...

Android Lounge - Android Forums

Since you're apparently needing a GSM smart phone my first thought would be the new Nexus S from T-Mobile. I don't know what specific issues there'd be in getting this phone unlocked but I suspect it'll meet many of your listed criteria.

http://www.google.com/nexus/