• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want a boost in performance? Gumbo custom kernel!

I installed the gumbo's kernel and when I rebooted it seemed liked it was faster getting to a usable state. At first I didn't notice it being any quicker as far as opening things and switching between landscape and portrait. I think some things were still loading in the background though, because now they do seem noticeably quicker.

Upvote 0
Excuse the noob type question. What kind of backup/restore do I have to do to make sure my phone has the stuff on it that it has now? (I have no idea how android works, so just a general overview would be awesome)
Also I know that there are a ton of ROM's available is fresh 1.1 the consensus one around here?

Thanks guys, I love this site.

Upvote 0
To use with this Kernel, I'd start out with Fresh 1.1. It's not recommended to use Modaco 2.2 because it's built on it's own custom kernel.

To do a backup, you need to be rooted. Then, you can do a nandroid backup from the recovery image (hold volume down + power button). Flashing to fresh keeps all your apps and settings, but it's still good to backup.

Upvote 0
Excuse the noob type question. What kind of backup/restore do I have to do to make sure my phone has the stuff on it that it has now? (I have no idea how android works, so just a general overview would be awesome)
Also I know that there are a ton of ROM's available is fresh 1.1 the consensus one around here?

Thanks guys, I love this site.

Have you Rooted already? I would say Fresh 1.1 is the most used. I use it, it's great. Easy to install and upgrade, very active developer.

Like momoceio said, you'll want to do a nandroid backup, which you do from the recovery menu. That's basically the same as creating and "image" of your hard drive on a computer. If you restore a nandroid backup your phone will be EXACTLY how it was when you made the backup. As far as your contacts, they are backed up by default because they are automatically synced with your google account.

Upvote 0
As mentioned, the stock ROM isn't reported to work (or not work). You'd be best of flashing Fresh 1.1, then flashing this custom kernel. Of course, make a backup before you do anything.
This absolutely does work incredibly on the stock rom, however, busybox must be installed first. Read through this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625940&page=33 .....you will find the zip to install busybox and furthur direction.

Upvote 0
I'm now running MoDaCo 2.2 + Gumbo's Kernel, the less aggressive version. As others have mentioned, MoDaCo's Kernel/Rom and Gumbo's kernel do not necessarily get along. I haven't noticed any troubles yet, but I also haven't run through all the different applications and functions to see if there is any trouble. So as a warning, it worked for me, but YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY!

I also installed SetCPU and adjusted it as described.

For the first time my phone's "phone" function is ACTUALLY USABLE!! When it was stock it took the phone about 20 of the 23 second ring-cycle to decide "Oh, there's a call coming in, what am I supposed to do now? Ring? Vibrate?" It seriously only rang for about 3 seconds before sending callers to voice mail.. "what's goin on d00d? Hmm, maybe I should turn the screen on, and then go get coffee, but after that I guess I'll ring."

After doing a test today, it takes about 1 ring, or a few seconds (listening on the phone doing the calling) before my phone wakes up enough to ring, which is actually closer to what a cellphone usually does.

So, the next question is, why didn't we do this in the first place HTC/Sprint? lol. You made a phone that does everything relatively well, except the phone part...

I've also noticed a decent increase in operating speed, browser loads and renders pages like it should, and the landscape flip function is BLAZING compared to stock (or even the MoDaCo kernel).

PS: I also practically doubled my overall battery life, MoDaCo = 50% better battery usage, Adjusted e-mail polls out to 30mins instead of 15 = 30% better, Set CPU = 20% better.. overall I'm getting what I would call 'acceptable' battery life now, whereas a stock Hero gets barely a day's use (usually charging by 7pm).

Upvote 0
I just installed over Fresh 1.1 without setcpu. (I'm a bit afraid to use that given some problems reported here. Never OC'd a PC CPU either. Call me a chicken.) I used the "regular" version that dreamliner linked. It is working very well so far. Things are just popping on my Hero. Apps open and close with a snap and it all flies now. Great mod!

Upvote 0
I just installed over Fresh 1.1 without setcpu. (I'm a bit afraid to use that given some problems reported here. Never OC'd a PC CPU either. Call me a chicken.) I used the "regular" version that dreamliner linked. It is working very well so far. Things are just popping on my Hero. Apps open and close with a snap and it all flies now. Great mod!

setCPU doesn't actually overclock your CPU it just regulates it.

Upvote 0
Quote: Originally Posted by [B said:
momoceio[/b]
Anyone know if SetCPU is any better than the Overlock widget...that's free? Both do the same thing.

I actually prefer the overclock widget over the setcpu.

Used setcpu the entire day today and and used the overclock widget as well.. I like that it integrates better and that it shows clock speed. I also like that I can turn it down to 128,000 when the screen is off.. I would get a lockup sometimes doing that with setcpu.

Plus you can customize the widget more and have it match the rest of the HTC hero icons... Doesn't look out of place next to my other stuff. Overally I like it better than setcpu. I still bought setcpu just to donate because he ****ing rocks and made a better kernel.. ;-)
Both are really nice programs though!

-Nigel

Upvote 0
SetCPU got a new icon with the update today ;)

I actually prefer the overclock widget over the setcpu.

Used setcpu the entire day today and and used the overclock widget as well.. I like that it integrates better and that it shows clock speed. I also like that I can turn it down to 128,000 when the screen is off.. I would get a lockup sometimes doing that with setcpu.

Plus you can customize the widget more and have it match the rest of the HTC hero icons... Doesn't look out of place next to my other stuff. Overally I like it better than setcpu. I still bought setcpu just to donate because he ****ing rocks and made a better kernel.. ;-)
Both are really nice programs though!

-Nigel

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification for the lazy guy who hasn't read all pages of the thread on xda. :D None the less, it does appear that some people have had issues with setCPU. What do you think?

Yup I have had issues with SetCPU....I found it in the market as a few of you had mentioned to me, thank you very much BTW :D:D

However, upon purchasing it (only 99 cents) it wouldn't work for me. It kept coming up a black screen with I believe SU at the top of the screen. So I uninstalled and got a refund :(

When it asked what device I was using, I passed over HTC Hero and selected "Search for Device" or something like that....that could have been my problem, lol. If you have Fresh 1.1, and Gumbo Kernel, do you still select the HTC Hero button?

If anyone can let me know that, I will gladly buy it again and trying out once more!!!

Spanks!!!!!

Upvote 0
So here's the plan, gang. I'm patiently waiting for the highly anticipated 2.1 HERO UPDATE, but with all the buzz on speedy heroes from being rooted all this temptaion is not the business lol but my plan is to wait for the 2.1 update despite the few months i have to deal with this damn 1.5 but then again i am a patient person :rolleyes: in the mean time i'm content with my hero's speed for i am not overstocking on unnecessary apps and clearing my app cache daily while rebooting my phone here and there.

BUT my question is, after i recieve the 2.1 update do you think it will be necessary to root my phone and install Gumbo custom kernel to have A NOTICABLE change in speed/performance on my Hero?

THANK YOU :cool:

Upvote 0
Yup I have had issues with SetCPU....I found it in the market as a few of you had mentioned to me, thank you very much BTW :D:D

However, upon purchasing it (only 99 cents) it wouldn't work for me. It kept coming up a black screen with I believe SU at the top of the screen. So I uninstalled and got a refund :(

When it asked what device I was using, I passed over HTC Hero and selected "Search for Device" or something like that....that could have been my problem, lol. If you have Fresh 1.1, and Gumbo Kernel, do you still select the HTC Hero button?

If anyone can let me know that, I will gladly buy it again and trying out once more!!!

Spanks!!!!!

for SetCPU you have to select HTC Hero/Tattoo Beta (MSM7k turbo).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones