• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want a boost in performance? Gumbo custom kernel!

So here's the plan, gang. I'm patiently waiting for the highly anticipated 2.1 HERO UPDATE, but with all the buzz on speedy heroes from being rooted all this temptaion is not the business lol but my plan is to wait for the 2.1 update despite the few months i have to deal with this damn 1.5 but then again i am a patient person :rolleyes: in the mean time i'm content with my hero's speed for i am not overstocking on unnecessary apps and clearing my app cache daily while rebooting my phone here and there.

BUT my question is, after i recieve the 2.1 update do you think it will be necessary to root my phone and install Gumbo custom kernel to have A NOTICABLE change in speed/performance on my Hero?

THANK YOU :cool:

you are of course assuming that the 2.1 update doesn't "fix" the loophole being used to gain root access. it is entirely possible that after the update, no one will be able to have root except those that were already rooted.. that said... why wait.. root now.. when 2.1 gets released there will be plenty of custom 2.1 roms to choose from...

Upvote 0
I think a lot of people are overly hesitant about rooting. It's actually pretty hard to screw your phone up rooting it. If you follow directions and take your time you'll be fine. Then once it is rooted and nandroid backed up, there's almost nothing you can do to really screw it up.

Other than flash updates for the GSM phones lol

Upvote 0
So far the only thing negative is that I am unable to connect as su in terminal emulator.
At the $ prompt, I type su and another black screen pops up that says "SU Request" at the top. it then sits there, then says " Sorry! Activity S Request (in application Superuser Permissions) is not responding" Then I have to Force close.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
what terminal emulator are you using? I tried too replicate your problem, and all I got was the pop-up asking: always allow, allow, always deny, or deny. I'm using Better Terminal Emulator Pro, paid from market.

So far the only thing negative is that I am unable to connect as su in terminal emulator.
At the $ prompt, I type su and another black screen pops up that says "SU Request" at the top. it then sits there, then says " Sorry! Activity S Request (in application Superuser Permissions) is not responding" Then I have to Force close.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Here you go:

Please see my post (#323) here [CDMA KERNEL ROM]Gumbo Kernel beta project + RAM hack - Page 33 - xda-developers for what is needed to make it work with stock ROM.

I'm not really a COMPLETE noob but I think i'm missing something.I have a rooted stock ROM and know i need to install the busy box thing for this to work but i don't know how...I don't realyl like any of the custom roms looks over the stock other wise I'd of went that route.

Upvote 0
I am rooted and running Modaco 2.2. I want to replace it with Fresh and add Gumbo. Do I have to load the nandroid backup to clean off the Modaco??????

I did it with a clean wipe and without, with Modaco 2.0, running Fresh now (again) and it works fine.

On topic, the kernel and Fresh makes the phone crazy fast. Didnt notice it until I started opening my camera, applications list, and other streuous things that normally bog the phone down. It handles them all quickly and I love it.

I just really like the look of the Modified MCR 2.0 over Fresh, but Fresh works a lot better for me, and hte Flash in browser didnt work on MCR.

Upvote 0
OTAY! I have downloaded SetCPU for a second time and still nothing. I am running Fresh 1.1, and installed the Gumbo Kernel....then downloaded and bought SetCPU and when prompted to open it I got asked what decive I was using. I choose the HTC Hero one....then it went to a black screen with "SU REQEUST" at the top. After like four or five mins of this black screen it tells me "Activity SU Request (in application Superuser Permissions) is not responding - Force Close/Wait.

Anyone else having this problem...or am I supposed to open it another way!?! Just wondering, I would like the fastest phone possible and have heard alot of good things about SetCPU. Plus I have the same phone/ROM/Kernel as the rest right???

Anywho....thanks for listening and if you have an answer, YOU ROCK!

Upvote 0
I am rooted and running Modaco 2.2. I want to replace it with Fresh and add Gumbo. Do I have to load the nandroid backup to clean off the Modaco??????

I did it with a clean wipe and without, with Modaco 2.0, running Fresh now (again) and it works fine.

On topic, the kernel and Fresh makes the phone crazy fast. Didnt notice it until I started opening my camera, applications list, and other streuous things that normally bog the phone down. It handles them all quickly and I love it.

I just really like the look of the Modified MCR 2.0 over Fresh, but Fresh works a lot better for me, and hte Flash in browser didnt work on MCR.

Against the advice of the developer, we installed Gbhill's .31 Gumbo Kernel AND SetCPU on top of the MoDaCo 2.2 ROM with the updated custom kernel... yes, the Custom Kernel 1.2 with EXT3/4, Compcache support, extended iptables support, NFS/CIFS, tun modul, etc.

1. We did not enable compcache after flashing the MCR2.2, and yes, we flashed the gumbo kernel right on top!

2. So far it is running flawlessly and there is a significant increase in speed... it is especially noticeable when rotating between landscape and and portrait modes (especially with the keyboard activated) and the album runs a LOT smoother.

3. Tested it side by side with a samsung moment... it outperformed it in almost all of our limited testing. The only minor exceptions were that the moment had a slight edge (~250ms?) when opening a couple games that were larger than 3mb in size, and sometimes after repeatedly rotating between portrait and landscape modes (~7+ immediately consecutive times) the moment would gain a slight edge in re-rendering the page.

This was with ALL stock Sprint programs on both phones + extras... so it will get faster than this after a few well spent minutes with ADB in a command prompt.

@cmcfarland21 - Hope that clears up what you really wanted to know. ;)

Upvote 0
For the folks looking to the use GUMBO Kernel with HTC STOCK ROM:

1.Make sure your phone is rooted.
2.NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.
3.Download and copy "update_remount_su_busybox_20091203.zip" Available here: xda-developers (THANKS TO mercado79 over @XDA) to the root directory of your SD card
4.Download and copy "GK-031-signed.html" Available here: 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download GK-0.31-signed.zip (THANKS TO gbhil over @XDA) to the root directory of your sd card
5.Enter recovery (volume down/power) press Home
6.Flash zip from sd card: "update_remount_su_busybox_20091203.zip"
7.NANDROID BACKUP PLEASE!!!
8.Flash zip from sd card: "GK-031-signed.html"
9.NANDROID COULDN'T HURT, COULD IT?
10.Reboot system
11.Do all these hardworking folks a favor and download SetCPU FROM THE MARKET if you want it, not from XDA (it's only $0.99) DON'T BE A CHEAP ASS

ALL CREDIT GOES TO XDA Members: gbhil for the Kernel, mercado79 for remount/su/busybox AND coolbho3000 for SetCPU I just typed it. If there's an error let me know, so I can correct it.

As a sidenote, all these Nadroid backups eat your sd card memory up and I was having trouble trying to figure out what, was what, so I created a simple ChangeLog with notepad and copied "currently unneeded nandroids" to my hard drive. I didn't do it until it was too late to know what I did for most of them, but it gives me an idea of what major changes I have made.
EX:
CBDMRS12-20091213-0152
- Post Root original, all Sprint apps still installed
>--OTHERS--<
BCDMRS-20100126-0439
- FRESH 1.1
BCDMRS-20100129-0329
-
BCDMRS-20100129-1527
-INCLUDES "WORK GMAIL"
BCDMRS-20100203-0304
-
BCDMRS-20100203-0343
-INSTALLED "MYBACKUP PRO" "SET CPU"
BCDMRS-20100203-0446
-FLASHED "update_remount_su_busybox_20091203.zip"
BCDMRS-20100203-0506
-FLASHED "GUMBO KERNEL"

PS: sorry if the post is too long....

Upvote 0
Is it possible that somehow you both got a bad version/download/copy of "Superuser Permissions"? When I tried to download directly form the market it gave me a "incompatible version" error, the dev said it was possibly because it was already installed, which it was not any longer. SU Permissions worked just fine for me before on Fresh 1.1 and works fine now on HTC Stock ROM & Gumbo kernel w/update_remount_su_busybox_20091203.zip installed.

Any suggestions?

OTAY! I have downloaded SetCPU for a second time and still nothing. I am running Fresh 1.1, and installed the Gumbo Kernel....then downloaded and bought SetCPU and when prompted to open it I got asked what decive I was using. I choose the HTC Hero one....then it went to a black screen with "SU REQEUST" at the top. After like four or five mins of this black screen it tells me "Activity SU Request (in application Superuser Permissions) is not responding - Force Close/Wait.

Anyone else having this problem...or am I supposed to open it another way!?! Just wondering, I would like the fastest phone possible and have heard alot of good things about SetCPU. Plus I have the same phone/ROM/Kernel as the rest right???

Anywho....thanks for listening and if you have an answer, YOU ROCK!

Upvote 0
Is it possible that somehow you both got a bad version/download/copy of "Superuser Permissions"? When I tried to download directly form the market it gave me a "incompatible version" error, the dev said it was possibly because it was already installed, which it was not any longer. SU Permissions worked just fine for me before on Fresh 1.1 and works fine now on HTC Stock ROM & Gumbo kernel w/update_remount_su_busybox_20091203.zip installed.

I just found out....through an INSANE amout of research, lol. But isn't that iwhat this is all about.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS THIS PROBLEM (Superuser not letting you use certain apps), lol...go to "Applications", click "development", and "turn on" the debugging :D

Works like a charm....NOW even my CacheMate App works, or at least Superuser Permissions will let me use it to SEE if it works, lol.

Got into my SetCPU and set it to MAX 480, MIN 245 with "On Demand" as the setting! HAPPY HAPPY!!!!

Upvote 0
Any suggestions?

Try what I did in the above post and let me know if that works for you bro!!!!! :D:D

Upvote 0
USB Debugging? I wouldn't have even thought of that, but I've had it on since day one or two. Glad you found a cure.

I just found out....through an INSANE amout of research, lol. But isn't that iwhat this is all about.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS THIS PROBLEM (Superuser not letting you use certain apps), lol...go to "Applications", click "development", and "turn on" the debugging :D

Works like a charm....NOW even my CacheMate App works, or at least Superuser Permissions will let me use it to SEE if it works, lol.

Got into my SetCPU and set it to MAX 480, MIN 245 with "On Demand" as the setting! HAPPY HAPPY!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones