1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Want no sounds unless called or texted or if one particular app makes a noise

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dorlow, Jan 24, 2020.

1. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I'm in an on call rotation at work, so every 3 weeks, after hours, if I get a call or text, I need to hear it. My last phone, I fine tuned it so the phone didn't make a sound unless I got a call, text, or paged. I dont want to he woken up everytime someone makes a Facebook post. This Note 10+, i can't seem to get it to stop making noises. Everytime i get an alert, i check what made the alert then turn off notifications for that app. But sometimes it just makes a noise and I don't see a notification. Dont know if anyone has any suggestions? Right now, I kind of have a work around. I have a sound profile app that, at night, all volumes are down except phone calls. If I get a text that's a page, I'm using an app called sms pager which makes a lot of racket if the text comes from a number that I'm paged from. But, I would feel a lot better if I didn't need to turn volumes down on anything but phone calls... my luck somehow it wont alert me because the volumes are off somehow. I'd feel a lot better knowing I can keep the volumes up at night and my phone didn't make a sound unless a call or page.

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

read the manual as it explains all the features you are missing.

To silence the device, go into sounds and set to "silent" or use the drop down notification tray and tap the speaker icon.

you can do more advanced settings like using IFTTT, DND,and so on.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

marctronixx likes this.
  4. dorlow

dorlow Well-Known Member

I can't set the phone to silence because my pager app wont alert me if I get paged while on silence.

5. marctronixx

again reading the manual on the phone will give you insight on how to individually select notifications for different apps. take some time to familiarize yourself with the phone. you are asking, with all due respect, a very basic question on one of the most powerful flagship phones out today.

like I mentioned, there are ADVANCED ways to select what apps will notify you. you can put the phone on vibrate. you said in your OP that you don't want to be woken up by facebook posts, do go into the facebook mobile app and turn off ITS notifications. you can do this for any app on your phone. just go into the individual app in the settings tab and configure. its really easy.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

Here is something to try.
    I don't use Samsung, so I appologize (for them) in advance if your device does not have this feature.

Start from your homescreen.
    Pull down from the top, to see your quick settings menu.

There should be a settings pinwheel/gearwheel.

Long press it for about 10+ seconds until it animates (spins).

Now open the phone settings.
    Scroll down towards the bottom- you are looking for System UI Tuner.

Open that, and inside you will find the setting that allows you to customize notification levels (1-5) for each app.

Now when you go to adjust the notification settings of an app, you have multiple levels of notification available.

Now go into your phone ringer settings.

In there you will see Priority Only.
    This is what you may need to use when you are on call.

Think of it as a built in extra notification profile.

Now that you have extra notification levels available for each app, you will see that there is also an option to Override Oriority Only.

This is where you set the apps that you WANT to wake you up when you are on call.

After all this, put your phone ringer into Priority Only when you are on call.

Only the apps that you have allowed to notify during Priority Only and those that you allow to Override Priority Only can notify you.

When you are no longer on call, change the ringer setting to your normal setting, and everything is just like it was before.

Hope this helps.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10

Galaxy Note 10