• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help want puzzle piece unlock back

That does not work since the update. The options it gives you now is to draw a pattern or use face recognition. You could always use a pin. But there is no puzzle anymore. I miss the puzzle too.
What version of the update do you see? I'm not sure if my phone has the update yet. I don't see the face recognition option.

Thnx.

Upvote 0
The update "rolls" out over time, a typical update doesn't get to everyone for 4-6 weeks total, plus if you are not completely stock and on EI2 firmware you won't get it anyway. Try turning off network time and set the the date for January 2013 then clear data on a Google services, and try checking for the update (apparently that can "fool" the update servers to giving you the update early sometimes). Or head over to RootzWiki and grab the Update.Zip file and manually flash it.

As far as the Puzzle Lock goes, probably going to have to wait for custom ROM, like Tweaked, to be released with it in it, otherwise I don't think it can be added back to the stock ROM.

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0
mine updated today no puzzle piece no biggie, anyone use the Face Recognition? Also I saw a few apps I didnt have before a photo editor and video calls app I saw I didnt have before, also now I can get 3g data at my house, it was a dead spot for Data, and 4G service is alot better elsewhere. IMO good update can live without a puzzle piece but wish they would add a missed call alert since theres no Blinking LED

Upvote 0
Maybe they could at least make it an app in the market.
It is a little more complicated than that, it falls more into the catagory of themeing, which requires root access (at least to build it in) to add in the stock one again, a simple app can't really add back something into the firmware. There are other screen saver apps in the market though, I have used a few and they work alright most of the time, or rather did in the EI2 firmware.

You could try this, there are several theme's available in the market (I don't know if there is one for the puzzle, but once I tried a couple of the Sense ones I was hooked.

MagicLocker Main is the app.

And if you search for "magic locker theme puzzle" you will find lots of ones that you might like

Upvote 0
https://contactus.samsung.com/custo...MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1&titleCode=1

I just sent an email to Samsung on at the above link... asking them for the puzzle piece back. We should all send them a quick note letting them know we liked it. :)

I just got the upgrade and noticed the puzzle piece lock was gone. I called Verizon - they said it wasn't their fault, the upgrade was provided by Samsung. I called Samsung - they said it wasn't their fault, the upgrade was provided by Google. I called Google. They don't even have any sort of customer service available (who cares what customers think?). After much effort I was finally given some obscure weblink in which to post a comment. I doubt if I'll ever hear back from them.

Obviously, I want the puzzle piece lock back too. I sent an email to Samsung at the above link too. Hopefully we can get this feature back. It was unique and different. The new circle/swipe feature is dull.

Upvote 0
I just got the upgrade and noticed the puzzle piece lock was gone. I called Verizon - they said it wasn't their fault, the upgrade was provided by Samsung. I called Samsung - they said it wasn't their fault, the upgrade was provided by Google. I called Google. They don't even have any sort of customer service available (who cares what customers think?). After much effort I was finally given some obscure weblink in which to post a comment. I doubt if I'll ever hear back from them.

Obviously, I want the puzzle piece lock back too. I sent an email to Samsung at the above link too. Hopefully we can get this feature back. It was unique and different. The new circle/swipe feature is dull.
This is actually a Samsung thing... it is a part of TouchWiz which is their UI for Android.

You won't get it back, it's gone. Either wait for a custom ROM like Tweaked to be updated to the new firmware, or use some like MagicLocker and the SamsungGS theme to get it back.

Upvote 0
It is a little more complicated than that, it falls more into the catagory of themeing, which requires root access (at least to build it in) to add in the stock one again, a simple app can't really add back something into the firmware. There are other screen saver apps in the market though, I have used a few and they work alright most of the time, or rather did in the EI2 firmware.

You could try this, there are several theme's available in the market (I don't know if there is one for the puzzle, but once I tried a couple of the Sense ones I was hooked.

MagicLocker Main is the app.

And if you search for "magic locker theme puzzle" you will find lots of ones that you might like

This app allows to download a puzzle lock theme... BUT IT MUST BE PURCHASED!! Why we would have to purchase something we once had installed by default is ridiculous... but we live in a crazy world which makes no sense a lot of the time. I liked the puzzle lock so much I purchased this theme... but it shows ALL puzzle pieces on lock, not just those relevant because they're new notifications like the original... oh well, in a hundred years, am I really gonna care...?! Disappointing though... very disappointing.

Upvote 0
This app allows to download a puzzle lock theme... BUT IT MUST BE PURCHASED!! Why we would have to purchase something we once had installed by default is ridiculous... but we live in a crazy world which makes no sense a lot of the time. I liked the puzzle lock so much I purchased this theme... but it shows ALL puzzle pieces on lock, not just those relevant because they're new notifications like the original... oh well, in a hundred years, am I really gonna care...?! Disappointing though... very disappointing.
Ummm... you don't have to purchase it... use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/....magiclocker.theme.free.haron.samsunggs_trans

Searching for magic locker themes is interesting sometimes, it seems like the Play Store hides the free ones sometimes and it takes a little digging.

Although you are correct, it is pretty stupid it was taken out.

Try one of the Sense theme's, it's pretty good and once I got used to the rings I will never go back to the puzzle unlock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones