• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want root?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love you fore-- Oh damnit :(

Good try. I have an ally and wouldnt mind tinkering, but I have such little knowledge of this kind of stuff. Im completely dumb.

I know someone who would though. Someone who got to a few of the service menus etc..not that I have any idea what that means. Try to contact this guy; heffe2001 and Marcus531.

Seriously, click on that link ot Marcus531's profile and then view all his posts. Hes done alot of tinkering with the thing. I think hed be interested and well capable in helping.

marcus531 - Viewing Profile

Heffe seems interested too.

The Ally's service menu. - LG Ally Forum

Its the same kind of shit as the GW620 isnt it :thinking: maybe if you look into what exactly they did. I dunno. Good luck though! Full support! This thing needs a root so bad.

Upvote 0
My GF has the Ally, I've got the tech. I'm decent with *nix, and I have been learning the Android SDK in the little spare time I have. (rooted my Incredible on the first try). As soon as I get the warranty for her phone (just in case...), I'll step up.

Given that I will basically have to do this the few nights a week her and I see each other and even then I will have to sneak off while she's sleeping, we may not be able to do this live (over webex, etc...). But if you're willing to share your logic, I'm willing to get slapped for hacking her phone while shes in bed.

Reactions: bamaredwingsfan
Upvote 0
You don't understand rooting it will bring us Froyo and even overclocking. This phone runs the same CPU as Droid so we can push it 1+ Ghz once root is available.
No, i understand that, and all it entails, its just i will settle for those other things i mentioned in my last post. Don't get me wrong, i want this phone to be on the same level as the droid, but lets be realistic.

Upvote 0
My wife is getting her coordinator line(tier 2 LNP) hopefully sometime next week and she ordered the ally(didn't want to wait for the x or incredible :( ) . Also she's part of a demo program where they demo phones for two weeks to get a feel for them. he next phone is the Ally. So in the next few weeks I will have two of them. If you guys are still working on this PM me and I will be happy to help.

Upvote 0
I tried several methods to get into the bootloader, but nothing that's been done before on other phones seemed to work. The other LG Android phones seemed to have root done very trivially, but my guess is Verizon has locked the Ally down pretty well as far as that goes. Couldn't even get into recovery mode :(.

Just a FYI, I've sent mine back as of yesterday, and have a Incredible on order, should be here around the 10th. Been without an Android phone for less than 24 hrs, and I'm already having withdrawals, lol. I find myself trying to use the touchscreen on my old crackberry Tour, lol.

If you guys DO get root on this phone, I'll definitely get one for my wife when her NE2 is up, for her a tad more speed, and removal of a few apps would make it the perfect phone (and Froyo with Flash would definitely put it over the top, lol).

The stuff I did find were known menu options for LG phones, but here's the list:

Service Mode (Looks like there are 2 service menus):

##5473784236368

Service Mode:
##7764726740

Testing:
*#*#4636#*#*

Debug:
##32284#

2nd Edit (LOL): I was able to get the phone to work with the SDK, just not in root/super user mode, you can push files to it, get files from it, etc. I did make a backup of the system folder, as well as a few other folders on the device though (the pre-installed app folder for one). I'm just hoping I can open my Inc when it gets here, lol. I want wifi-tether and to be able to remove some of the pre-installed apps I don't want, that too much to ask for :D?

Upvote 0
I tried several methods to get into the bootloader, but nothing that's been done before on other phones seemed to work. The other LG Android phones seemed to have root done very trivially, but my guess is Verizon has locked the Ally down pretty well as far as that goes. Couldn't even get into recovery mode :(.

what other lg android phones? this is the only one

Upvote 0
what other lg android phones? this is the only one

GW620, GT540...

Both of those phones have been rooted, and the GT540 is probably the easiest phone to root, lol:

To enable Superuser access (root) on your GT540:

- Turn on the device and click the icon to open the phone dialler
- Enter the code '3845#*540#'
- Select the option 'Module Test', then 'Stability Test' then 'Enable Root Permission'
- You will now be prompted for a password - enter :SWIFT::GT540:
- A toast message will briefly appear saying 'OK' - your root access is now enabled!
- Reboot your device, and now when you connect via ADB, you'll see you have a root prompt (#).

Those 3845# codes do NOT work on the Ally btw...

The Ally is LG's first US-based android phone, the others have been out overseas for a while...

Upvote 0
my plan to root the ally:
1 get into fastboot (done)
2 download kernel and a custom recovery initrd into RAM (not flash)
3 backup mtds to sdcard (they're root access only in stock firmware)
4 modify and reflash using fastboot
recovery images exist for other android phones to do the mtd backup (Nandroid, etc)
but we still need the zImage off the Ally. (config.gz is available through /proc but the android msm tree doesn't know about the Ally hardware)
I've contacted LG for the source, and was told they don't have a public tree for it but they can send it to me "the other way" still waiting on this.
meanwhile, i used an http monitor to watch the updater app and get the location of the firmware off LG's website hoping to extract the zImage from that, but it's in an encrypted file (wdb format but existing extract tools fail.)
Edit1: here's the link to get the firmware file (replace X's with your meid) it returns a link to the file, without authorizing first the link doesn't work.
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/...=A00000XXXXXXXX&model=191&country=US&region=N
this gave me VS740ZV6_01 the model num might have to be different if that's not the version you have, check phone info

Upvote 0
my plan to root the ally:
1 get into fastboot (done)
2 download kernel and a custom recovery initrd into RAM (not flash)
3 backup mtds to sdcard (they're root access only in stock firmware)
4 modify and reflash using fastboot
recovery images exist for other android phones to do the mtd backup (Nandroid, etc)
but we still need the zImage off the Ally. (config.gz is available through /proc but the android msm tree doesn't know about the Ally hardware)
I've contacted LG for the source, and was told they don't have a public tree for it but they can send it to me "the other way" still waiting on this.
meanwhile, i used an http monitor to watch the updater app and get the location of the firmware off LG's website hoping to extract the zImage from that, but it's in an encrypted file (wdb format but existing extract tools fail.)
Edit1: here's the link to get the firmware file (replace X's with your meid) it returns a link to the file, without authorizing first the link doesn't work.
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/...=A00000XXXXXXXX&model=191&country=US&region=N
this gave me VS740ZV6_01 the model num might have to be different if that's not the version you have, check phone info

The ally has the following versions:
Baseband Version:
VS740MV5.5210.1011

Kernel Version:
lge@android-build #2

SW Version:
VS740ZV6

Upvote 0
Maybe we need to get up a pool as prize for rooting this thing LOL

lol ill do a backflip from happiness and record it if someone roots it, it'll be funny cuz i cant do a backflip and ill break my head, but ill be recording from my ROOTED ALLY!

and back to business::::
kfazz: Check this out, the guys there have an extractor for wdb file, its for a diff LG phone but since they're both LG who knows???
http://www.mylgcookie.com/index.php?topic=645.0

---ill try extrating it with ubuntu linux it should take on encrypted files easier than windows systems

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones