• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Want soft keyboard to pop up when needed

alex17

Lurker
Feb 25, 2010
I have Droid (original), running 2.2.

Is there a way to have the keyboard pop up whenever the cursor is in a text entry screen, instead of having to touch the text entry dialog first? In a few apps / context, it works exactly right, in most others, it doesn't.

Works like I want:
* Handcent, when I click to open new message, soft kb opens immediately, no need to touch the "to" field.
* Search button (when starting fr home screen): loads search dialog, opens kb.
* Google Maps: menu, search, it opens search dialog, with kb.

The above is what I want, everywhere a text dialog opens, the kb opens with it.

Where it doesn't work:
* Stock Phone app (not when searching fr home screen, but when phone app is open, press search button): now, I get search dialog, but no kb. Have to touch search dialog, then kb opens.
* K-9 email: click "compose", get a new "to" dialog, but no kb, have to touch "to" dialog to get kb.
* Also in K-9: when replying, it opens a dialog w/ cursor in "message text" box, but have to touch that to get kb.
* Handcent: unlike when composing new msg (see above), when I reply to existing msg, I have to touch the text entry dialog to trigger kb to load.

No crisis, it just seems obvious (to me!) that the kb is essential in these contexts, and it ought to just load.

I understand these are different apps, but they all have 1 of 2 behaviors: either they pop up the kb whenever text entry is needed (yay), or they wait for me to touch the text entry dialog before loading kb (boo).

FYI, I'm using Swype, but seem to recall that stock kb behaved the same way. Yes, I checked both stock kb and swype settings, don't see anything on this -- if it's there, please point me to it.

Many thanks.

I have had the same issue since I got my DROID on D-Day.

I think it has more to do with the way the apps are written.

Some apps will not ever show an on-screen keyboard (Android Terminal Emulator comes to mind) but that is because they are written to specifically use the physical keyboard, I think.

based upon that, I believe it is app specific as to whether the KB automatically pops up or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones