1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Want to attach image to text message, but only camera opens

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by QCKiwi, Jan 17, 2021.

1. QCKiwi

QCKiwi Lurker

I just got a new Google Pixel 4 after my last one (same model) was lost/stolen. For some reason, when I click on the attachment icon in the Messages app, only the camera opens (taking up the entire pop-up screen) and if I want to attach an image I need to click the + icon beside the attach image icon, and go to my files that way. Using the same app on my old Pixel 4, and previous Android phones, I would see the camera and my recent photos on the right when I clicked the attach image icon. I have verified my app permissions, and Files and Media has permission in this app. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating the app, but still I only see the camera when I click this icon. Any ideas what's going on??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Your device and/or the app may be a slightly different version than what you had before.

This happened to me before, when I had a device replaced with an 'identical' device under warranty.

The solution, if needed at all (you have already found a workaround) is possibly to clear the defaults for the camera app.

The next time you try to attach something, the screen asking which app to draw the attachment from should appear.

Hadron and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Most likely answer is an app update, to be honest. I don't use Messages, prefer other SMS apps, but I just tested it on my Pixel 2 and it's as you describe: touch the "+" icon to add media to a message. So I expect that's just an update to that app's UI, and the way it is now.

ocnbrze likes this.

Messages Forum

com.social.app.messenger

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs