1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Want to Auto change time Zone. Any App?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by vantiveman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. vantiveman

vantiveman Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi,
    I travel each week to Brussels from the UK and don't want to keep switching my current time zone.
    I have tried setting 'Automatic' in the Time & Date settings but it does not seem to do anything, but maybe this is because I have data disabled (cos I don't have a data pack).
    Is there an App that will use GPS to automatically alter the time zone setting?
    Thanks for any recommendations.
    Al.

Advertisement

2. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Software Developer
    On the sofa
    Hmmm - I have the 'Automatic' option checked on my N1 which picked up US time straight away (once connected to a mobile network) on landing in JFK.
    This was with roaming switched off (which may not be the same as data disabled :thinking:)

3. vantiveman

Jan 25, 2010
    I have Magic from Vodafone and it doesn't seem to work. I fit a different SIM when I travel between UK and Brussels, so the phone gets powered down. Don't know why automatic doesn't cause the time to change. I tried this morning. Set the Zone to London (so the time changed) and then set Date & Time settings to Automatic.
    Waited, waited, and then waited some more. It's still set to London time.
    I have roaming disabled so I don't pay unwanted charges, but I make and receive calls with no problem. It this a function that is provided by the service provided? Maybe Belgacom pre-pay doesn't provide a time signal?

This is whay I was after an App that switched the time zone based on the GPS location.
    Al.

4. vantiveman

Jan 25, 2010
    Just a quick update. It works when I travel from Brussels to UK. I put in the vodafone SIM while I was in the tunnel and later when I checked the time was correct. Going the other way, automatic doesn't work when I put in a pre-paid brussels sim.
    Anyone know any apps to switch time automatically based on GPS or Cell location?
    Thanks,
    Al.

5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    The 'Automatic' setting isn't data dependant but carrier dependant. When I travelled to the UK 2 weeks ago from Belgium I had data turned off so's not to incur data charges. Going from Belgium > France > UK the time automatically switched when I picked up a UK carrier. Coming back the other way the time did not update in France and only updated when I picked up my Belgian carrier.

6. vantiveman

Jan 25, 2010
    Thanks bluenova. That confirms my scenario as well.
    Oh well, any App writers want to code an app to auto change time zone? I can guarantee at least one buyer :)