• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to Auto change time Zone. Any App?

vantiveman

Jan 25, 2010
Hi,
I travel each week to Brussels from the UK and don't want to keep switching my current time zone.
I have tried setting 'Automatic' in the Time & Date settings but it does not seem to do anything, but maybe this is because I have data disabled (cos I don't have a data pack).
Is there an App that will use GPS to automatically alter the time zone setting?
Thanks for any recommendations.
Al.

Hi,
I travel each week to Brussels from the UK and don't want to keep switching my current time zone.
I have tried setting 'Automatic' in the Time & Date settings but it does not seem to do anything, but maybe this is because I have data disabled (cos I don't have a data pack).
Is there an App that will use GPS to automatically alter the time zone setting?
Thanks for any recommendations.
Al.

Hmmm - I have the 'Automatic' option checked on my N1 which picked up US time straight away (once connected to a mobile network) on landing in JFK.
This was with roaming switched off (which may not be the same as data disabled :thinking:)

Upvote 0
I have Magic from Vodafone and it doesn't seem to work. I fit a different SIM when I travel between UK and Brussels, so the phone gets powered down. Don't know why automatic doesn't cause the time to change. I tried this morning. Set the Zone to London (so the time changed) and then set Date & Time settings to Automatic.
Waited, waited, and then waited some more. It's still set to London time.
I have roaming disabled so I don't pay unwanted charges, but I make and receive calls with no problem. It this a function that is provided by the service provided? Maybe Belgacom pre-pay doesn't provide a time signal?

This is whay I was after an App that switched the time zone based on the GPS location.
Al.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update. It works when I travel from Brussels to UK. I put in the vodafone SIM while I was in the tunnel and later when I checked the time was correct. Going the other way, automatic doesn't work when I put in a pre-paid brussels sim.
Anyone know any apps to switch time automatically based on GPS or Cell location?
Thanks,
Al.

Upvote 0
The 'Automatic' setting isn't data dependant but carrier dependant. When I travelled to the UK 2 weeks ago from Belgium I had data turned off so's not to incur data charges. Going from Belgium > France > UK the time automatically switched when I picked up a UK carrier. Coming back the other way the time did not update in France and only updated when I picked up my Belgian carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones