• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root want to flash cm7 on my dhd

Demodem

Nov 17, 2011
Hi all,

I'm new to this and i realise that El pres* has posted extensively, but i am unclear as to what i need to do to flash CM7 on my dhd................i followed the guide you posted but i'm confused by the two other files in the link.......I just want to flash the rom...not to bothered about the kernel and have no idea what the other gapps file is for ........can you help please?

Thanks

Demodem.

If you don't want to flash the kernel, that's no problem, that bit is optional, it does make your CM7 experience slicker and improves battery life amongst other things though.

The other file is the google apps package. Not long after Cyanogen started making ROMs, for legal reasons (I'll see if I can find the link), Google stopped them/him from including the core Google apps in with the ROM (Gmail, the Market, Search, GTalk etc). It has to be flashed seperately. You're free to not flash that, but you won't really be getting the most out of your phone without the core apps on there.

Welcome to AF BTW! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me...........very steep learning curve....used hack ace the other day to root my phone and now want to have some flash fun!

so, gapps-gb-20110828-signed is the google apps file?

the kernel link directs me to choose the cyanogen kernels....when i choose the cfs i get re-directed to a multi**** site and not sure which one to choose or what to do with it next?

Dem

Upvote 0
The gapps is the google apps... download it and flash it - don't worry... it's fine!

As for the kernel... I got the download link from XDA, but it was one of the multi blah blah places... just download, put on root of your SD and flash (similar to a ROM flash, but MUCH quicker)!

GRRR on that El P... GRRR! Beat me to it! Now that I'm a guide, I'd better keep a copy of stuff in my dropbox!

Upvote 0
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31513255/lordmodUEv8.2-CFS.zip

1. Take backup
2. Wipe (as per the guide)
3. Flash ROM
4. Flash Google apps package
5. Reboot
6. Sort your app backups out
7. Back into recovery
8. Backup
9. Flash the kernel
10.Reboot
11. Calibrate battery
12. Sit and grin smugly at the awesomeness of your CM7 powered DHD.

Reactions: Demodem
Upvote 0
Hey........

was wondering if you would know why all my sms message data is gone and although all my apps were free ones i cannot find them through titanium (free) do i need to have the pro version?

I thought i had followed your guide, although i got a little confused from point 14 on!

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Alright mate!

You will have lost data/messages when you flashed a new ROM on to the phone. The only was to save messages is to back them up before you flash.

As for your apps... when you link your phone to your gmail account, you should be able to go on the market, where you can hit menu and my apps... you should be able to download them from there and then use Titanium to restore the data. You shouldn't need the full version (you can restore app data in the free version)... the paid for version lets you batch restore data (amongst other things)... only a couple of quid too, so I thought worth it!!

Upvote 0
The backup zip just installs titanium on first boot for you, your apps are backed up separately. The guide isn't actually very clear, so I'll update the accordingly at some point tonight, apologies for that.

To sort your current problems, open TB, hit Menu, More, Extract from CWM Backup, select the backup you made before you flashed CM7 and it should give you a list of apps you had installed on your handset previously. You can restore from there.

Only restore stuff you've downloaded from the market though and select App and App Data.

Reactions: Demodem
Upvote 0
Thanks.............says i need donate version in order to do this......i cannot work out how to get this version as i can only see free and pro versions on the market!

Thanks for all the help............feel like i'm ironing out the kinks and getting settled into CM7...........i agree with the threads about the CM7 phone.....nothing like as slick as the htc version!

Can't have everything thought!

Demodem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones