• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to get pissed off? Buzz Out Loud

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
Cnet has zero credibility in my eyes after the whole Jeff Gerstmann debacle at Gamespot a few years ago.

Gerstmann was dismissed from his position at GameSpot as Editorial Director on November 28, 2007.[4] Immediately after his termination, rumors circulated proclaiming his dismissal was a result of external pressure from Eidos Interactive the publisher of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men which Gerstmann had previously given a Fair rating, which is relatively undesirable, along with critique.[5] This was at a time when Eidos had been putting heavy advertising money into GameSpot,[5] going as far as transforming the entire website to use a Kane & Lynch theme and background instead of the regular GameSpot layout, regardless of which game or page viewers were seeing. Both GameSpot and parent company CNET stated that his dismissal was unrelated to the negative review, but have never cited any reason why his termination was deserved.[6] In accordance with California State Law and CNET Networks, GameSpot could not give details as to why Gerstmann was terminated.[7] Following Gerstmann's termination, editors Alex Navarro, Ryan Davis, Brad Shoemaker, and Vinny Caravella left GameSpot, feeling that they could no longer work for a publication that was perceived as having caved in to advertiser pressure.[5]
Jeff Gerstmann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aside from their obvious corruption issues, their reviews are completely biased and unprofessional. They lack a consistent criteria for reviewing gadgets. A critique that applies to one brand, for example, won't apply to another brand with the same issues. In regards to Apple products, they hardly ever knock them for issues that they're more than happy to knock Android and Microsoft products on (i.e. a Windows laptop at $1300 is overpriced according to Cnet, while a Macbook is priced just right).

As well, in any recommendation articles, they love to recommend Apple products above all else. Most times their suggestions are completely unfounded, especially in their laptop department (Stein and Ackerman are just as annoying as Tong, although they try to cover up their fanboyism by appearing a little bit more professional).

I understand why they've taken this route (they're trying to cater to the more casual tech users), but it's completely killed their credibility.

At least they're acknowledging the quality of Android phones in their reviews, but they still find the time to take jabs at the platform every now and then, which is just sad.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
I also listen to TNT almost every day. Sarah Lane is a complete over the top Apple fanboy (and I dislike her almost as much as Brian Tong, both for annoying personality, not because they're izombies), but is well balanced by Tom Meritt who though also owning an iphone, retains objectivity.

Now if Leo could arrange a trade of Sarah for Molly, then I'd be a happy camper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones