1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Want to make my phone feel like new and more useable

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mike208, Jun 4, 2011.

1. mike208

mike208 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    My first question is, should I hard reset and start from scratch, or just fix what I already got. I got my phone on launch day, so it has a full years worth of crap on it. Its not noticeably slow, but then again maybe I am just used to it.

I'm sure I have a lot of unused apps, which i could just uninstall. But every time I go to do that, I keep telling myself, maybe I will use/need that app sometime soon, but I rarely do. But I also get told I am low on disk space all the time. I do my best to clean up unused apps when this happens, but I seem to download stuff more then I uninstall. But at the same time I don't think I have that many apps on my phone. Okay thats that not true I guess. Just did a quick count and I have over 200 aps, lol

I guess I'm wondering how hard it is to do? Not the physical act of resetting the phone, but rebuilding it with the apps I do want. I'm sure plenty of you have done this before. Is it usually worth it in the long run? I know I am sure to forget some apps that I do use occasionally, but not often enough to realize its not there until i really need it, but thats not so bad.

I have been talking to a fellow Evo owner who uses different ROM's and I am wondering how useful they are. I really don't know much about any of them, what they add or what they do. Also do you need to root the phone to use them and does that void sprint insurance coverage?

Advertisement

2. mike208

mike208 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    My first question is, should I hard reset and start from scratch, or just fix what I already got. I got my phone on launch day, so it has a full years worth of crap on it. Its not noticeably slow, but then again maybe I am just used to it.

I'm sure I have a lot of unused apps, which i could just uninstall. But every time I go to do that, I keep telling myself, maybe I will use/need that app sometime soon, but I rarely do. But I also get told I am low on disk space all the time. I do my best to clean up unused apps when this happens, but I seem to download stuff more then I uninstall. But at the same time I don't think I have that many apps on my phone. Okay thats that not true I guess. Just did a quick count and I have over 200 aps, lol

I guess I'm wondering how hard it is to do? Not the physical act of resetting the phone, but rebuilding it with the apps I do want. I'm sure plenty of you have done this before. Is it usually worth it in the long run? I know I am sure to forget some apps that I do use occasionally, but not often enough to realize its not there until i really need it, but thats not so bad.

I have been talking to a fellow Evo owner who uses different ROM's and I am wondering how useful they are. I really don't know much about any of them, what they add or what they do. Also do you need to root the phone to use them and does that void sprint insurance coverage?

3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

I would recommend to root your device and rebuild it that way. It takes a while if you truly have 200 apps lol

Go to the rooting section and find a really cool ROM to use or try a bunch and find which one you like most.

I "rebuild" my phone lots of times as I use many different ROMs every couple of weeks. What I do is save ALL of the apps, contacts, and other stuff I want to keep. Then when I get to the new ROM that I like, it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours to restore everything to the new ROM. The app I use to save my apps to my SD card is called "AppSaver" and you simply find them on the SD card and reinstall them. You can download it for free or get another free type of app that does the same thing.

It's nice to change every once in a while.

Since Gingerbread came out yesterday though, you may not be able to root if you uploaded Android 2.3 on it though.

EDIT: What routerunner said is more in depth what rooting will do for your phone.

4. routerunner

routerunner Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Sacramento
    Well the cool thing about deleting apps is that you can always redownload them if you really feel you can't live without them.

If you decide to root your phone you can download titanium back up from the market and back up all your apps+data. That way if you do hard reset, you can restore your apps+data anytime without going through the process of searching for them on the market.

You have to be rooted to flash different roms. Since you are worried about space, some roms free up internal space by removing unnecessary data. It's not against sprints TOS to root your phone but it does void your warranty. Different roms offer different perks, visually and under the hood. In the all things root section you can read the rooting for dummies thread if you want to learn more about rooting.

ndh777 likes this.
  5. routerunner

routerunner Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Sacramento
    Good point. Totally forgot about the ota update.
    @Mike if you updated to gingerbread then you'll have to wait till the devs find a new exploit to root

Tags: