1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Want to restore contacts and apps after flashing a ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boscocosta, Jun 14, 2011.

1. boscocosta

boscocosta Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    First off hello to everyone from a newbie! Here is my issue that i can't seem to get past. i'm currently rooted with CW 2.5 and have all my contacts loaded some great apps running etc. Now i want to move on and try some ROMs. i've tried out Bonsai, Syndicate frozen, urban fury etc and each has some great features, but none will allow me to bring over and restore my contacts apps etc. I've tried using my backup root, as well as CW's backup restore but none will allow me to do so and end up getting me frozen at the Samsung screen. i've tried upgrading to cw3x and no go. tried running the program to go from RFS to EXT4 and same lockups. so is this just not possible? Any other info needed?

Advertisement

2. nstg8r

nstg8r Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    NY
    The simplest way to backup and restore your contacts is to export them to your sd card as a v-card file. Then all you have to do is import them after flashing your ROM.

To restore apps, I would use Titanium Backup, which is pretty much a must-have app if your rooted anyway.

3. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    Contacts should automatically backup and restore via google. Apps can be done various ways but if you are looking for a way to save progress in say like angry birds or something, thats a little different. I use appmonster pro myself for apps, gives me the option to restore either from sd card or market.

4. nstg8r

nstg8r Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    NY
    When I had my Transform, Google would automatically delete my contacts. Since then, I've always turned off Google syncing.

5. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

Thats odd. Never had an issue with either my moment or my epic. But its always good to have alternative ways of backing things up;-)

6. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    That is odd. There may have been an option you picked in which wins...phone or gmail. I don't even know if this is possible, but if that were the case and you had phone winning, then as soon as you had a blank slate, it would sync with Google and then delete the contacts as you say.

As for apps, Titanium Backup is probably the way to go. It's like $5 and well, well worth it. I usually restore the apps from the market to make sure the links are always good, but you can then restore the data for the apps only for your games. You won't lose progress/scores, things like that.

And yeah...making a backup with a vCard file is always a safe bet too. It'll save on your SD card (which isn't changed when flashing) and then you can just restore them after you flash. I would also suggest 'SMS Backup & Restore' if you want to backup and restore your text messages as well.