1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Want to Root! But I'z Scarded! Helps Us Please.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Left Coast DJ, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Got a stock Thunderbolt and I think I'm ready to root and flash a new ROM. My T-Bolt is running 2.11.605.9.

I'm looking for a super fast and super stable ROM. Could someone please direct me to step by step instructions on how to:

1) Back-up my TBolt

2) Root

3) Flash a new ROM (what's the fastest and most stable?)

Any help for this noob is much appreciated!

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    all info can be found from this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...10-htc-thunderbolt-all-things-root-guide.html

in particular check out these 2:
    http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/418539-thunderbolt-root-unroot-thread.html

http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...91-how-some-root-terminology.html#post2812075

read thru those threads,and post up if you have more specific questions that you cnat find answers to.

in a nutshell:
    1)check your firmware number if it is 2.11.605.9 youll need to downgrade to 2.11.605.5
    2)run revolutionary. allow it to install clockwork recovery
    3)use clockwork to make a backup of your stock rom
    4)read about various roms,pick one you want to try. wipe data/factory reset,cache,and dalvik cache and flash the new rom using the menus in clockwork recovery.
    5)???
    6)profits!

1 piece of advice: if you want to remain on a rooted stock rom,i wouldnt even bother with your stock rom. just flash jrockers rooted rom available here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...ated-1-14-12-rooted-ota-2-11-605-9-files.html he is doing a spectacular job of "noob support" :D you will find answers to alot of very common questions on his thread.

if you want a custom rom,there is no "fastest" or "best" its all a matter of opinion. i dont like htc sense,and always run AOSP when possible,as i feel it gives me the best battery life,speed,and performanace,but your mileage may vary. youre going to have to flash a few different ones and find one you like.

good luck :)

3. Left Coast DJ

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Scotty, can I use HTCdev.com to root without rolling back my TBolt?

4. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    To add to what Scotty stated above. Every phone is different in how they respond to the different ROMs available, especially kernels! It's quite simple to flash ROMs once you're comfortable doing it. The best thing to do is try a few out there and see what works best for you. There was a time when Sense ROMs outperformed AOSP on my phone but now there are a couple of AOSP ROMs that are better than Sense. But it took me trying out different ones until I found what was best for me.

scotty85 likes this.
  5. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010

You can... but I would not advise that. Revolutionarys s-off has some distinct advantages,plus does not void "all or parts of your warranty" ;)

Ibrick likes this.
  6. Left Coast DJ

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Could you please link me to step-by-noob-step instructions to roll back my firmware to .5?

7. BCJ2

BCJ2 Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    l am gonna follow anong on your post I got new Thunderbolt as well :)

8. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010
    in the 4th post of the root/unroot thread you will see links for both PG05IMG and .exe files.

the PG05IMG will be renamed "PG05IMG" and placed on the root of your sd card. when you boot into hboot,the phone should find the file,and ask you to update. tell it yes. when its done reboot. folks seem to have a lot of trouble getting PG05IMG files to work for various reasons,even tho the requirements are simple. more info on flashing PG05IMG files here in the 3rd post of the how to thread. just follow the directions to flash in hboot :)

the .exe file is prolly a lil simpler. simply download the file for the 2.11.605.9 firmware( direct link ) right click on the download and "run as administrator" if your version of windows gives that option. a program will run on your PC that updates the firmware. just follow the onscreen directions on when to plug in your phone and let it do its thing :)

9. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    The HTC unlock doesn't have any advantages, unfortunately its probably going to be the only option going forward.

Until then, read, read, read, and when you're ready, roll back to 605.5, and use Revolutionary.

Keep the step by step video up so you can follow along, as you complete each step.

Revolutionary makes things very easy, somewhat, IMO, to the detriment that you lose out on the learning experience of the older methods.

scotty85 likes this.
  10. knight1fox3

knight1fox3 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Also following this thread as I am a noob looking to root my HTC TB. Any successes? Failures? Other problems along the way?