1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Want to root but keep stock rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chris951, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    I tried reading the threads about rooting but I get thrown off with all these custom roms. I wanna root my phone but keep the stock rom. I would like to delete the bloatware and overclock my phone. Can anyone link me to a very simple "how to" or tell me how? I'm getting the urge and I really wanna do this. I just don't want to screw my phone up because I can't afford another one. And like I said, if u could even link me to a specific thread that is simple I would really appreciate it. I will continue to search in the meantime. Thanks

Advertisement

2. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    [Reference Guide] Optimus V Rooting/Roming/Modding/Hacking (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums
    Here you go. It has links to all the roms, tweaks and various ways to root. If you are new to this I would recommend Romtools. Just follow the instructions, load it on your pc and go. Just remember to open the recovery folder in Romtools and rename the recovery.img to vrecovery.img or it won't work. If you looking for a stock rom with overclock go with the Stock+xionia rom. It has all the bloatware removed already and the kernel is ready to overclock. You will need to download setcpu to be able to overclock, you can get it from the market for a price, or setup a free account at xda-developers.com and get it for free there.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  3. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Awesome thank you! I got an account on xda so I'll check that out.

4. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I.T. Consultant
    Stock + Xionia is a bit dated at this point. It's not as clean as it can be and it's not using a stock kernel (it uses an Optimus S kernel). While it works well, it has had minor issues on some phones. We have sort of evolved beyond that now. The S kernel was used because it allowed overclocking, we no longer need that.

Harmonia is a good, more modern choice. Harmonia uses a modified, stock kernel (allowing overclock and a few stable tweaks), gives you 170 megs of storage (way more than stock), and is basically a (VERY) clean Froyo rom. It's generally considered the most stable and compatible rom out there.

Bumblebee is similar to Harmonia, but has a few mods. However, it's a bit more bleeding edge. It's a tweakers rom, with lots of built in tweaks. Though those can sometimes bite you in the butt.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  5. Mr. G23

Mr. G23 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
  6. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    I really wish people would stop recommending Rom Manager. The recovery it installs is not really compatible with our phone, it does not want to flash roms. There have more boot loops reported from this app than any other method. It is strongly recommended to the xionia cwma recovery for VM. It will flash any of the roms available for our phones with out any problems.

7. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    I did my very best to rectify that very problem,in the very thread that was mentioned^^^^. If you want to go there and see if I left anything out I would greatly appreciate it.

8. Iamlazer

Iamlazer Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    I basically just want to manage the apps that run (the ones I tell to force close keep starting back up).

Is the above a good way to manage that or do you suggest a different route?

I wouldn't mind taking care of the bloatware, but it doesn't bother me that much.

9. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    If you just want to manage app's go to the Market and go to my apps. Look at all your apps and make sure they are not checked for auto updates. If any are, uncheck them.

Go to phone and make sure auto sync is turned off.

Go to market and get watchdog lite.This will alert you when one of your apps is hoging energy. Then you can decide what you want to do with the offending app.

Some apps if there on the sd card like to behave badly and might hog energy by constantly trying to update. Move them back to the phone.

10. Iamlazer

Iamlazer Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    After testing the above over the weekend, the problems still remain.

Apps like Google Maps, Google Mail, Yahoo Mail, Gallery ect, still open randomly.

Thanks for your help thus far.

11. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    They are not actually running and they use no battery. They are cached or need for some other app to work. Don't worry about it. Android takes care of itself.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
Tags: