• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want to Root, But Worried.

BimmerM3

Feb 2, 2011
Indiana
First of all, I did do a search before posting this, simply because I know some people don't like repeated questions. But it would take hours to extract the few questions I have from the hundreds of threads.

I would love to root my Droid X, I've had it for about 2 weeks and I can't stand not knowing what what an overclocked X runs like. My first question is, if i root my phone do I have to apply a custom ROM or can I keep the stock one? I would simply like to overclock my phone before doing any custom ROMing? Secondly, what is the best, and safest method or rooting? I've seen multiple posts about one click rooting. The reason this appeals to me is because its both easy, and if i read it correctly you can one click unroot. I normally am very good with this sort of stuff, but rooting just stupefies me. Feel free to lead me to the right thread if there is one!

Boy, did you come to the right place! There are several who are just chompin' at bit ready to give newbies advice on how to root. I'm one. Colchiro's so helpful he's embarrassing! ;)

I recommend it. Ask lots questions along the way and don't be shy!

Edit: Ask question along the way. First d/l z4root and root your phone. Then we'll talk about roms. Overclocking is overrated, but we can talk you through that too, friend. :)

Upvote 0
The jury's out on that, but it sounds like GB is only for tablets.

Pay no attention that Steven guy. He's behind bars for a reason... :D

jk.

http://androidforums.com/android-lo...-honeycomb-will-only-ship-tablet-devices.html

Do you see what I mean? He said "GB is for tablets". The guy's nuts and doesn't know what he's talking about! (he did correct himself by quoting honeycomb, though). (Steven runs)

Edit: Seriously, at this point Gingerbread is a mixed bag because Motorola locked us out of being able to root it. If there's no root, I won't want to upgrade, frankly. There's time to play with it, though. Hopefully, they'll root it.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I might want to stick with just various apps for a few days. Im definitely interested in putting custom roms on in theh future but its all a little overwhelming at this point. I do have one other question. You said overclocking was overrated? Does that mean you don't recommend it or it simply isn't very effective?

Upvote 0
Honestly, I might want to stick with just various apps for a few days. Im definitely interested in putting custom roms on in theh future but its all a little overwhelming at this point. I do have one other question. You said overclocking was overrated? Does that mean you don't recommend it or it simply isn't very effective?

Welp, it's great to be able to do, but the DX is so fast, anyway, that it really isn't the premier root function of this phone.

If you wanna start small, download and try "wireless tether", "cache cleaner NG", also I think spare parts is a root app. Geez, I've paid for the other apps. These are free. Let me know. I'm pulling for you to try a rom, though. :D I'll help you.

Upvote 0
Here's my recommendations:

• Get rooted.
  • Install recovery.
  • Install rom manager.
  • Install Titanium Backup, open it and press the menu button, select batch and make a backup of "all apps + all data".
  • Open recovery (DroidX bootstrap), tap the top button, should say you were give supervisor permission, followed by success. Tap the second button to go into recovery. Vol up/down button moves cursor, back button goes to previous screen, camera button does what the cursor is highlighted. Select return and press camera button.
  • Open rom manager and create a backup. Call it stock_02-07-2011 (don't use spaces). Make sure the backup completes. Should take a couple minutes. If it reboots right away, it did not work.

Here's my first root app: Quick Boot (Reboot) - Android Application on the Android market

My take on overclocking/undervolting... it's fun to tweak but can cause some instability until you get it set up. That probably why Steven made his comment. I like QuickClock and Overclock. Both do different things.

Upvote 0
I totally agree about the overclocking - don't. I've tried it and it's just not worth it. Hit up the board when you're ready.

Boy, did you come to the right place! There are several who are just chompin' at bit ready to give newbies advice on how to root. I'm one. Colchiro's so helpful he's embarrassing! ;)

I recommend it. Ask lots questions along the way and don't be shy!

Edit: Ask question along the way. First d/l z4root and root your phone. Then we'll talk about roms. Overclocking is overrated, but we can talk you through that too, friend. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones