1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Want to Root--Newb

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cfarmd, Apr 27, 2011.

1. cfarmd

cfarmd Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok...i apologize for the repetition as I am sure many others have asked these questions.

I just got the droid x yesterday, and while I am very pleased with the phone I am likewise very annoyed but the amount of "crap" that comes pre-installed that I cannot remove. It's killing my memory and battery life.

So...I have heard good things about "rooting" these phones, but I will admit I am a total newb and know nothing about the process. I don't claim to be technically savy, but I can understand the basics well enough. How does one go about selecting a new ROM? I don't really understand what the ROM is in relation to how the phone operates.

I am/was under the impression that rooting was essentially removing all the stops on the system. This would allow me to delete all those annoying apps like blockbuster and amazon mp3, etc. I am VERY interested in learning (or perhaps paying) someone to help me do this. Before I do anything, however, does anyone know of some good references that I could read so that I have a better understanding of what I am getting in to?

Where do you find all these "roots?" I have heard people mention that they freeze their phones in order to be able to restore the system defaults in the event of something going wrong, but I don't know a whole lot about this.

I currently have a comprehensive drug information database (Lexicomp) installed on my phone, and I need to make sure that rooting won't mess up my subscription.

Again, I am trying to find some basic information about rooting and how to select a new ROM that best fits my needs. Overall, I am just wanting the basics, phone text internet.

Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisement

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Go to the all things root section, it has all been discussed there.

Rooting only gives you admin access to your device, it doesn't do anything automatically.

The apps running in background are not hurting your battery, they are idle, but they are taking memory.
    You will always have apps running in the background, rooted or not, that's the way the OS works.