• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to send my Android to space, have a few questions

brandonppr

Lurker
Nov 24, 2011
Well maybe not to space but at least to the edge at 100,000 feet.

We are planning a weather ballon launch with an Andriod. Here are a few things I am trying to figure out. What app would be best to track the phone with GPS? I would like to be able to see its location in real time on my PC and I need it to be pretty accurate when it comes back to earth so I can find it.

Next, is there any way to view the Camera while it is in flight on my PC?

Thanks for any help on this.

I think most of mobilephones at 100,000 feet will can not work, and there must be no signal.

I believe you are correct. I did a little more research and found this video. These texts were sent up to the phone from the ground and the video was sent back from the balloon, but not from the phone.

That is way beyond anything I could do, but what about within signal range. Before it gets too high to be in range? It would be nice to have it pointed down and stream video during lift off and free fall, but most important is that I can track it with GPS.

This is an Android I think

Space Balloon A Success! - YouTube

Here is a video of an iphone being used for GPS tracking and it is still sending GPS data at 17 miles. 100k is about 19miles. Is there a real time app for GPS I can view from my PC?

Father And Son Send iPhone Into Space And Record Incredible Video VIDEO - YouTube

Upvote 0
Well maybe not to space but at least to the edge at 100,000 feet.

We are planning a weather ballon launch with an Andriod. Here are a few things I am trying to figure out. What app would be best to track the phone with GPS? I would like to be able to see its location in real time on my PC and I need it to be pretty accurate when it comes back to earth so I can find it.

Next, is there any way to view the Camera while it is in flight on my PC?

Thanks for any help on this.

Any Android phone uses aGPS, which requires a data connection to actively track the phone.

A: Consumer-grade GPS will not work at 10,000 ft, especially in a phone.
B: No data up there
C: It certainly won't stream back to your PC in real time.

You would need a dedicated GPs of pretty good quality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones