1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Want To Stream Audio From TV to Android Device

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by PeteCress, Jan 5, 2013.

1. PeteCress

PeteCress Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Paoli PA, USA
    Galaxy Note N7000, does WiFi and BlueTooth.

Vizio TV, does WiFi and hard-wired Ethernet. Has a "BlueTooth" option on the setup menu, but it's greyed out so I'm guessing on this model. Plugging a BlueTooth USB stick into one of it's USB ports, of course, does nothing.

Googling turns up a host of ways to stream TV from Android to TV and vice-versa...

But I'm looking for the functional equivalent of wireless headphones.

I'm guessing it will involve buying some hardware that plugs in to the TV's Audio Out jack and then either passes the stream to the Ethernet network via WiFi or the cable or provides the stream via Bluetooth.

I'm also guessing there will have to be a companion app installed on the Android device.

Anybody seen such a thing?

Advertisement

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    It's not the same thing exactly but it is audio. I stream my Police Scanner to my phone. I have the audio out from the scanner hooked up to the microphone in on a spare PC. I have a program on the PC called Scanner Cast that I use to stream the audio over the internet. I then connect to my Scanner Cast server using Winamp or Scanner Radio on my phone. I could easily do what you're wanting to do by going from the audio out of the TV into the line in on my PC. I've cranked the quality way up and have streamed music before and it sounded great.

edit:
    So basically, you probably want to look into setting up some kind of a private shout cast server if you have a spare or old pc laying around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHOUTcast

ocnbrze likes this.