• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to switch to android- are these apps available?

Hello chaps,

Current iphone owner, considering moving to an android phone as I am fed up having to jailbreak the phone to do things I want.

However, before I make the switch I just want to make sure that there are two things that I can currently do on my iphone that I am just wondering if I am able to do it via android. They may seem very very petty, but really they are so useful I cant imagine a phone without them.

1) An equivilent of the iphone app 'wikipanion plus'. Basically I MUST (!) have a good wiki app which has the same functionality as this app- namely, that it allows me to 'queue' articles that I want to read but dont want to just now. This may sound so irrelevant, but I use it ten times a day! I understand wiki plus is not available on android itself for some reason, but perhaps there is an equivilent?

2) An equivilent of the jailbroken iphone app 'auto silent' whcih can disable any on-board silent swithces and put silent mode on a timer (of course, with a manual overide). I am staggered that I must jailbreak my iphone to get this.

So thats it chaps- these are the two things I really care about!

Let me know

Thanks!

So thats it chaps- these are the two things I really care about!

If I can ask what are your REASONS for wanting to switch besides you dont like to JB? I ask as if your phone already does everything you care about, you might as well stick with it. People usually switch phones when their current one cant do what they want.

Personally I would never trust anything 100% on Wiki or any site that allows just anyone to edit the information. I say this from experience as at work I was once laughed at in a meeting when I tried to backup a few points with some Wiki printouts and was told they are not an acceptable reference.

For your number one, there is no exact app that uses a queue that I know of. You could either use the browser and just save the links as actual links into a folder and view and delete them there similar to how the queue works or use an RSS reader and search through that plus you can access so many other more reliable sources with it. BuzzBox or RSS Reader with prefetch for offline reading later should do what you want "in a way" once you configure them. I have an iPad too and these are "workarounds" and going to take some getting used to and not as easy at first.

The app Silent Sleep will do what you want for your number two. It has an on off timer for sounds and you can bypass the alarm clock if you only what that to sound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones