• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Want to try a different messaging app

cougar214

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2011
I wanna try a different text messaging app and I was wondering what you guys think of them in general. I know some of you prefer one over the other, but can you tell me what I need to do to the stock messaging app to use another one.

Do I have to disable anything or is it pretty much cut and dry? And do any of them have themes you can install for colors and such?

Handcent is my absolute favorite. In fact, I haven't tried anything else but the blur messaging app and heard a lot of great things about handcent. I love the popups that come to the front and let you do quick replies. There are some different options for changing colors and adding backgrounds built in. There are some different themes that are in a database that you can download. I use it on my DX and my Incredible. Pretty sweet IMO.

Upvote 0
yeah but I hear handcent causes issues.

I've been using handcent since my first Android phone in Oct 2009. NO issues. I recently tried Go SMS based on many positive recommendations, and, while I liked it, it did have some issues, (at least on MY DX) that caused me to go back to the reliable Handcent.

EDIT: cougar214...if you do try an app for messaging, be sure to go into the stock app and turn off notifications. That will stop you from getting duplicate notifications. You can always try Handcent, and if you don't like it, uninstall it and re-activate notifications in the stock app. Do NOT uninstall the stock messaging app.

Upvote 0
Handcent is my absolute favorite. In fact, I haven't tried anything else but the blur messaging app and heard a lot of great things about handcent. I love the popups that come to the front and let you do quick replies. There are some different options for changing colors and adding backgrounds built in. There are some different themes that are in a database that you can download. I use it on my DX and my Incredible. Pretty sweet IMO.

ChompSMS is very similar to Handcent.........I prefer ChompSMS, though I do like Handcet too (I went from stock to Handcent to ChompSMS, and haven't looked back). Right now I'm using AOSP messaging app because I was doing some tests with it :D

I did try Go SMS too, but I didn't like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones