• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to upgrade - best option?

Doomstang

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010
Missouri
Back in February of this year I upgraded my old Blackberry and got a Hero. I'm wanting to get an Evo now but don't know if there is a way to get it at a reasonable price since I'm only 3 months into this contract. We have a Premier account with Sprint and have a total of 4 phones on the account. I assume I wouldn't be able to simply go to Best Buy and upgrade for the $200 (when it is released obviously)...and if I could, wouldn't I incur fee's from Sprint? I'm eligible for upgrade discounts once per year since I'm the primary number on a Premier account so even though my contract isn't up until Feb '12, I would be eligible for the '2 year upgrade discounts' in Feb '11.
Is it possible to upgrade one of the other phones on our account that is eligible for the 2 year discount and then switch it to my number (and give the other line my Hero)? All of our phones already have data plans except for one...and that older style phone needs to stay with that number (since we taught my grandma how to use it and can't be changing it on her). So the other 3 lines on my account are eligible for 2 year upgrade discounts but mine (obviously) is not.

Basically I'm asking what my best options are. Can I upgrade at the Evo's release at a reasonable price or will I have to wait until next Feb?

Thanks in advance for the info!

If any of your other lines are eligible for the upgrade, you can purchase the phone on that line, but activate the phone on your line. Confirmed with Sprint. Best Buy will be able to do this as well. You do not have to go home and do it, they will do it at the time of purchase. You just tell them that you want to purchase the phone on whatever line is eligible, but activate it on your line.

Reactions: Doomstang
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones