1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Want to upgrade to Notebook/Pad

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by txheart0711, Apr 26, 2012.

1. txheart0711

txheart0711 Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi y'all,
    I think I'd like to drop a little of my refund cash on a new notebook/pad. I am trying to do research to figure out what I want, but there's SO much out there that I'm a little confused. I'm hoping maybe y'all could narrow it down a little bit for me.

First, let me say that I do not need an upgrade; I just want it, so I can't justify spending more than about $250-ish. I have no problem with getting a used one. I don't use my smartphone now for any work stuff, just phone calls, text, internet & playing with apps/games.

I do need to be able to use the thing as a phone, and to be able to text/picture message with it. Also, I'd seriously like a halfway decent camera on it. My Huawei M860 has one of the most worthless dang cameras I've ever tried to use.

I'm saying notebook/pad because I'm getting a little older & my eyesight isn't what it once was. I'm interested in the size of the screen. That's probably 80% of the reason for looking at those. Another 5% cuz it just looks so dang cool & 15% cuz it seems much faster than my current phone. If there is a low-cost, huge screen, phone out there that would fit these parameters, feel free to recommend that too!

Like I said, if y'all could just help me narrow down what I am looking for, that would really help. I dont have a problem with researching, but with so much out there right now, I'm overwhelmed & don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!!
    ~Ky

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    wait im lost are you looking for a laptop? or a tablet?

a tablet is nothing more than a large phone, without the ability to make calls.

laptops can never be replaced, as they do things that tablets simply cannot do.

it all depends on what you're going to be using it for

3. txheart0711

txheart0711 Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I'm looking for a tablet. Waidda minute though - you can't make calls on a tablet?! So I'd still have to have a phone? Well crud, that just doesn't make any kind of sense for me. If you can't use a tablet as basically a large smart phone, then I guess I'm just going to have to find a phone with a huge screen. That's a real bummer! :bawling:

Any ideas on a smartphone with a large screen?

4. APSoft

APSoft Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Vancouver, Canada
    Depends on what exactly large is for you.
    Samsung Galaxy Note has probably the largest screen between the phones - 5.3". It's almost like a small tablet. There is a bunch of the phones with 4.3"-5" screens. Galaxy Nexus is another popular choice, for example. The problem is those phones with large screens are usually pretty expensive.

Check some site like GSMArena, which has an extensive database with a search. Select the Operating system, Display size, and other parameters you'd like (network band would be important in your search, I guess), and start your research from there.

5. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    APSoft is right, the galaxy note is the largest you are going to find