1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wanted: a better way to organize my apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bls, Jul 5, 2011.

1. bls

bls Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    I have a Samsung Epic running Froyo.EC05. Whether I use the stock Samsung UI or LauncherPro 0.8.6 (free edition, not LPP), when I hit the Apps button I get the list or grid of all my apps (currently 90 apps on this phone).

Is there some other Launcher or app that I could run to organize these apps by group or personal category? For example, I'd like to group all the music/video apps as one category, all the nav/map/location-aware apps under another, games as a third group ... you get the idea. Something about scrolling back and forth every time I want to locate one app is beginning to wear on me!

I know you can put folders on the homescreens, then fill those folders with shortcuts, but I'm looking for something I can specifically access using the Apps button in the dock at bottom. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them! TIA.

Advertisement

2. uzee

uzee Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Male
    Scotland
    i used an app named 'app categories' but i think its not available now. U were able to create ur own customs categories like 'media' or 'tools' and 'travel' etc.

But im sure there other app that do this job - im too looking for an alternative.

3. CTBlack

CTBlack Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Try ADW Launcher, there are both free and a paid app of the Android market. The free version will allow you to do what you had stated.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
  5. bls

bls Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks all, I will check each of these out. Seems strange that this is not a native feature, but I'm willing to work around it as long as there isn't a major impact on phone performance.

6. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Go Launcher EX allows you to create folders in the App drawer.

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
  8. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    The intent is the App Drawer contains all apps. You organize on your home screens. Frequently uses apps would have shortcuts and widgets on the home screens. Lesser use (or not at all used) apps could remain in the drawer.

In any case, Android's versatile and there are apps to organize your drawer if you insist on it.

9. bls

bls Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    I totally get what you're saying; and really for the ~8-9 months I've had my Epic that's exactly how I managed things -- group similar apps on specific homescreens, swipe between homescreens to switch from group to group.

But lately I've wanted to clean up my homescreens and just file the apps away in a more hierarchical way.

I tried App Organizer last night but the way you categorize Apps one at a time started to bug me. But I did like that it made an automatic effort on first start-up to auto-tag my apps, which did save a little time.

Then I tried the ADW Launcher (free version) -- a better fit for the way I do things, I think. I especially like the way Grouping works in the App drawer -- create a category, then run down a list of all your apps and check off the ones you want to add to that category -- much faster.

I'll probably try the other suggestions tonight.

Now, if only I could get LauncherPro-style customizable docks with ADW's app Grouping, I'd be all set!

10. uzee

uzee Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Male
    Scotland
    The one that i use is App Categories

Although in the future i will definably try Auto App Organizer , which has the option to automatically ask you to categorize an app,each time a new app is installed!

Do any of you know if this function is available on any other app category apps?

11. de428

de428 Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Teacher
    Northern Idaho
    I had the same need to organize all of my 200+ apps. Autoapporganizer works great! After it loaded, it went through and searched my apps and automatically organized them into general categories. This took a few minutes, but if you are patient, it is well worth the wait. I went into the program and moved the apps which I used all of the time into the favorites folder and into the Keep It folder.

The All Apps folder still has the apps in it, but instead of having to search through 12 pages of apps to find anything, I can speed scroll through them alphabetically. The program is great and I may finally get to clean up my home screens. I don't know why apps like this aren't on some of the top 10 lists!

12. sadielynn

sadielynn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan
    Folder Organizer also alerts you when new apps are added, and does a whole slew of other things. Check out the free version.

13. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    I second GO Launcher EX. Folders in the app drawer is really a nice thing to have!