• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanted - Widget to turn OFF Phone and Cellular Data, but leave WIFI On!

ELTSZH said:
If you turn on airplane mode, then turn on wireless, phone and cell will be deactivated, but wireless will work.
To which SPGIVA replied
When i tried this thevphonewould not let me turn on wifi with airplanemods turned on. Now i only tried this using my widgets, i did not go to the settings menu.
I just tried it using 2 widgets - 1 to turn on wireless mode, then 1 to turn wireless back on - it worked!!!

Just ran out of battery, but I'll try and identify the widgets when I can!

Thanks to ELTSZH

Upvote 0
ELTSZH said: To which SPGIVA replied I just tried it using 2 widgets - 1 to turn on wireless mode, then 1 to turn wireless back on - it worked!!!

Just ran out of battery, but I'll try and identify the widgets when I can!

Thanks to ELTSZH
? U turned on wireless then turned on wireless?

I trird with both the widgets and through the settings menu and could not do it. With airplane on i can not turn on wifi. I know of no other way to turn off the phone reception
-spg

Upvote 0
? U turned on wireless then turned on wireless?

I trird with both the widgets and through the settings menu and could not do it. With airplane on i can not turn on wifi. I know of no other way to turn off the phone reception
-spg

No, I turned AIRPLANE mode on with a widget, then turned Wireless ON with another widget.

I've since experimented with the built in controls, and it can be done by turning ON Airplane mode (long push on power switch, then choose airplane mode ON) then settings/wireless/turn wireless on.

Upvote 0
Which widget? I enabled airplane mode in settings then tried in settings then with Switchers--the Samsung widget to turn on wifi, and wifi in both cases were "unclickable."

Phone was Samsung Galaxy.

I actually don't know which widget! I tried installing 4 or 5 until I found ones whose 1x1 control I liked, and I haven't taken time to figure out which of them I'm actually USING! When I can make the time, I will.

In the mean time, it looks like the trend on this topic is that it works in 2.0, but not earlier Android versions

Upvote 0
I just tried on my HTC Magic with 1.5 by doing the following:

1. Long-press on end call button. Chose Airplane mode.
2. Navigated to Settings > Wireless settings. All wireless settings were greyed out, so I could not select WiFi.

Since that didn't work I tried this:

1. Long-press on end call button. Chose Airplane mode.
2. Use the "Toggle WiFi" shortcut app (NOT a widget) to try to turn WiFi on. Did not work.

I currently don't have an actual WiFi widget installed, so I could not test that method.

Upvote 0
I also can't do it here on my Xperia X10.
I spend lots of weekends at a place where there is no cell phone coverage but a good internet connection with a wireless hot spot. I use VOIP to receive calls when I am here.
My cell phone's battery doesn't last though because it is always searching for the normal cell phone coverage.

Is there no application to handle this? This would be even better if it could be configured to enable normal phone data every x mins (like every 30 mins leave it enable for 5 minutes to see if you get any new SMS)

Upvote 0
I also can't do it here on my Xperia X10.
I spend lots of weekends at a place where there is no cell phone coverage but a good internet connection with a wireless hot spot. I use VOIP to receive calls when I am here.
My cell phone's battery doesn't last though because it is always searching for the normal cell phone coverage.

Is there no application to handle this? This would be even better if it could be configured to enable normal phone data every x mins (like every 30 mins leave it enable for 5 minutes to see if you get any new SMS)

I use an app called Airplane Mode Wi-fi Tool which should be able to do what you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones