1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wanting newer version on my LG Optimus V

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alievans, Aug 9, 2012.

1. alievans

alievans Lurker

Hi guys, I am not a techie at all and am using an LG Optimus V i have android version 2.2.1 running and I see that there have been several updates to android since i purchased my phone, is there a way to get 4.1 on my phone and if so is it something I can figure out to do myself not being a hacker or super tech savvy?
    thanks for your help
    Alison

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

Hey alievans, welcome to AF!, I have moved your thread into the Optimus V forum, where you should find people better able to answer your question. Thanks for joining up! :)

3. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

Look in the all things root section, there's some good tutorials on rooting as well as people willing to answer any questions you have. Rooting and flashing a custom rom is the only way to update to a higher version of android.

4. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Since you're a not-so-technical person, I would suggest passing on the ICS (4.0) ROMs at this time. They do work, and work quite well, but are still in beta mode. Some things may not work as well as you might like. Jelly Bean (4.1) is definitely experimental on the Op V -- leave that one to the geeks! It's in tinkering stage right now.

Meanwhile, you should be able to find a really good and stable Cyanogenmod Gingerbread (2.3) ROM that will be a definite step-up from where you are now. GB is nothing to be ashamed of -- there are many new phones still being shipped with it. And you can find some good ICS themes that will give you much of the 4.0 experience. The 'All things root' forum is very detailed. Rooting and flashing isn't difficult, but you should feel comfortable with what you are doing.

I am currently running a GB ROM, after a brief flirtation with ICS. I just liked the choice of ROMs available and the stability of the OS on the V.

5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

+1. Totally agree with fightingirish. Get your feet a little wet first with a stable rom. Once you feel comfy with it and learn a bit more about beta testing, then Id give the JB roms a go.

6. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there are currently two JB ROMs floating around on Android Central, XDA and other sites. They're a bit crude at this time, with camera not working and other features like MMS needing third party apps or other workarounds. Give it time.

I've seen a few ICS ROMs and even tried a couple. Some features like camcorder require workarounds, but all in all, they work well. I switched back to a GB ROM I like (Gingersnap) when I was having severe overclocking issues (I later learned to be careful with that). Between ICS and GB, there are things I prefer about both. ICS is quick and smooth, and has a slick interface. The dialer and contacts are cheap and ugly, however, compared to my current GB ROM. And the blue text is a bit hard to read. My current GB has some of the stuff I do like about ICS, so it's the best of both worlds right now.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews