• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanting to buy/test captivate - Best option?

I've been dying to upgrade from my ever outdating Blackberry Bold. Since I am on AT&T my options are limited but I want to steer clear from the Iphone and nothing that RIM has out attracts me at al right nowl, including the new but outdated BB Torch. I am also in a family plan that I cannot leave. I've seen the Captivate and I've been doing two weeks of research and lurking XDA amongst other android forums including this one.

I've come to the point where I've decided I definitely want to get the Captivate but I'm still on the fence due to all of the negatives I read. I understand the phone has many positives though and I've spent a good hour or two in the store playing with it. I have two options at this point:

1) Buy the phone at AT&T and extend my contract. This will cost about $200 and I will be grandfathered into my unlimited data. I will have 30 days to "test" the phone out and if I don't like it I will be forced to choose another phone. I won't be able to go back to my Bold because the AT&T rep said I will lose my unlimited data, which is something I want to completely avoid. Worst case if I bring the Captivate back I could go back to another Blackberry (Torch or a newer Bold)

2) I found a few locals selling new captivates for $350-$400ish. Although more expensive than option 1, I won't be locked into a contract or forced to choose another phone if I don't like the Captivate. Once the other half of my family plan's contract is up I will then decide if I want to stick with AT&T or go elsewhere. If I end up not liking the Captivate I can just sell it off online or locally and think of a new solution. My only concern is my unlimited data. The AT&T rep said I *may or may not* be able to retain my unlimited data when activating a Captivate this way and that is up to customer service. He was kind of vague about this and it worries me because I don't want to drop $350 on a Captivate and lose my data. Has anyone done this option and successfully gotten to keep their unlimited data?

Sorry for the wall of text but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would just buy it from AT&T with contract since you have no plans to leave AT&T. If you do not like it return it within 30 days, and they CANNOT remove your unlimited data as long as you do not downgrade or shut if off. That rep is full of it who said you can't go back to your BB and retain it. I have ping ponged to 4 different phones and still have it..

I would either try a different rep if they hassle you on the phone, or threaten to pull everyone on your account over to Verizon as a bluff. They will help you, trust me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones