1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wanting to root. I have 2.2. Any reason to OTA to 2.3.3 vs. root at 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GotoDengo, Sep 9, 2011.

1. GotoDengo

GotoDengo Newbie

I wanted to have a couple months with the phone in native state before rooting, to have a baseline or whatever to compare mods to.

Just noticed Gingerbread is rooted since I was here last. I'm at 2.2 still. Are there any pros/cons to rooting at 2.2 vs. 2.3?

TIA.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

I'd just use unrevoked as per the Rooting for Dummies guide (matlock). That's the one you want.

Though, if you do upgrade, you'll probably get a radio upgrade. You can upgrade radios rooted, but it carries a slight risk of bricking your phone (say battery dies during the process.) It's nothing to really worry about, just read up on it first.

I'd read the whole first few pages of the rooting for dummies guide. Great info there. If you do upgrade, check out the GB version of guide by ocnbreez. Top quality there too.

GotoDengo likes this.
  3. speedygonzo

speedygonzo Member

just stay with 2.2 and root with unrevoked its way easier than revolutionary

GotoDengo likes this.
  4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

Yeah it didn't really matter but I would just root from 2.2.

5. GotoDengo

GotoDengo Newbie

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll stick with unrevoked.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

If you do choose to update first I followed the GB guide without ever having rooted before and had no problems at all.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews