• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning about Google+ App downloading 100's of MB over 3G

happyskeptic

Oct 28, 2010
Today, after getting warnings that my Nexus 4 was almost out of space, I used the app Clean Master to clear out cached files from various apps. In particular it removed nearly 300MB of Google+ cache, something I was happy to do since I rarely use Google+ and even if I did use it wouldn't want it to cache so much junk on my phone.

The phone hasn't been on Wifi all day and now several hours later I've just gotten a warning that my monthly 1GB of 3G data is almost used. Settings->Data Usage shows that Google+ has used over 900MB in just the last few hours, caching and uploading stuff - something I never configured, never asked for and in an app I've never used (I've only used Google+ through a web browser on a laptop)!

I've disabled Google+ and I recommend anyone who has less than unlimited 3G data allowance on their plan do the same!

(If anyone can find where to submit bugs about the Google+ app let me know, I can't it)

google plus will re-download the temp files/cache as soon as clean master deletes it. We have not seen any way to disable this. It seems to be downloading all images and videos that are on the google+ photo album, but cant be sure.
Make sure you set google+ to only upload photos and videos while on wifi. It seems that this will make it only download while on wifi (though cant be sure).
In summary, do not delete the google+ cache. It will just come back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones